• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sometimes I am surprised I am not dead

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
From the consequences of working on my own car.

or hypothetically, it should be possible to rebuild a Master Cylinder the first time, and not get it together and realize that there was still a spring lying on the workbench.

Hypothetically.

Just sayin`

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Yep, I made it much longer than I thought I would from the same reason you stated as well as others. Wish mine was hypothetical...just sayin'
Rut

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Wish mine was hypothetical...

so do I my friend, so do I. On the plus side I can honestly say I have rebuilt my car three times. (as in everything takes me three tries)

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thank you for sharing that you are human, too. As a newbie who sometimes gets quite ham-handed with the work on my Sprite, it is comforting to know that even the more experienced folks on this forum are subject to human error as well. Sometimes when I post something that has gone awry, I often wonder "I'll bet these folks are just going to be shaking their heads behind their computers". It hasn't happened, though, and for that I'm definitely grateful to everyone who has chimed in each time I've bumped into a problem, which happens often!

nomad

Yoda
Experience is something you don't really get without making mistakes!

Kurt.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Experience is what separates the men/women from boys/girls. Experience is the only real knowledge.

Leftover springs are like un-paired socks though. Just toss that bad boy in the trash. What could possibly go wrong!? Hypothetically speaking, of course...

Country flag
That's the greatest thing about this forum! In all the years that I've been asking for help, no one has ever given me a condescending answer. For lbc owners this has got to be "home" and we all know what Dorothy says...

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thank you for sharing that you are human, too. As a newbie who sometimes gets quite ham-handed with the work on my Sprite, it is comforting to know that even the more experienced folks on this forum are subject to human error as well. Sometimes when I post something that has gone awry, I often wonder "I'll bet these folks are just going to be shaking their heads behind their computers". It hasn't happened, though, and for that I'm definitely grateful to everyone who has chimed in each time I've bumped into a problem, which happens often!

And you are more than welcome here. I could not have restored Ms Triss without these boards. In terms of mistakes, some of them are so pervasive they are practically a condition for membership.

RickB

Yoda
...some of them are so pervasive they are practically a condition for membership.

I have no idea what you're talking about...

bushreplace3.jpg

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Done that too - no pics though (no evidence :grin: )

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
At least with these little cars, redemption is only one item on the to-do list away. This evening, I successfully finished the installation of two of Peter's lever shocks in the rear of the Sprite. I definitely had a bit of a time getting the right rear shock out, but everything went in fairly smoothly. Of course, until I fix the brakes, I can't get to feel how much of an improvement it will be. However, just based on bouncing the rear fenders, I can already see a big difference. Now, I'll have to turn my attention to the front!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
My first car was a Sprite, I learned all sorts of "it's a wonder I ain't dead" lessons with that car. Didn't have proper jack stands, held it up with bricks, concrete blocks, large pieces of wood, remember the car rocking as I tried to loosen a stuck nut somewhere underneath, remember thinking "its not a very big car and I can move pretty fast if I need to", oh to be you and indestructible (at least in my own mind) again. Remember working on the back axle or brake line or something, for whatever reason I removed the nut holding the rear brake lines to the rear axle, thinking it probably wasn't that important, or maybe I lost it or was in a hurry to get the car back together to get somewhere. A few weeks later I learned about metal fatigue as the line gave way from bounced around just as I pulled slowly into the garage...That is just some of the stupid stuff as a mechanic, if you get into the stupid stuff as a driver the story would get much longer.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I guess I was immortal at one time too. My first car was a '46 Chevy convert that had a habit of breaking axles. You had to remove a retainer inside the diff to extract the broken end. I changed one one night with the car on only its own bumper jack. Didn't seem like a problem at the time.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Coming back to the Master Cylinder - got it reinstalled. I use DOT5 which does tend to foam a bit. Likewise there is the ever present issue of the hose being higher than the MC. So, I bleed it by holding it higher than the hose, bleeding through the MC, Spread it over a few days and must say there were satisfying bubbles each time. It is now re-installed and, I don't think I have never had as hard a pedal.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Coming back to the Master Cylinder - got it reinstalled. I use DOT5 which does tend to foam a bit. Likewise there is the ever present issue of the hose being higher than the MC. So, I bleed it by holding it higher than the hose, bleeding through the MC, Spread it over a few days and must say there were satisfying bubbles each time. It is now re-installed and, I don't think I have never had as hard a pedal.

Like I said earlier in the thread: Redemption is never more than the next item on your to-do list away. :D