• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

something really cool, and a Ferrari

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
On Sunday we had our bikes loaded up and were rolling toward the coast. A few blocks down and around the corner we came upon a Ferrari 458 waiting in the center divider to turn left across our lane. His nose was sticking out into our lane a little, but we managed to not tear off his $50k bumper.

I feel a little sad about being so jaded that seeing any late model Ferrari, Lambo or even Mclaren only barely raises my interest anymore. They're great cars. I like them, really. But, living in OC, they seem almost common. And anything special about them is in the engineering, not ownership, which doesn't take anything more special than writing a check (albeit a big one). A couple of weeks ago I was at Cars & Coffee and Mclaren brought out their latest supercar (preproduction intro, not yet for sale). It was very nice and all, but.... the guy that brought the very good condition, unrestored, original, early seventies Mercury sedan (brown), that was interesting. That's something you don't see every day.

Anyway, back to Sunday and something really cool. A couple of miles past not hitting the 458 we saw a Mercedes Benz Unimog coming the other way. Looked brand new, army green with an open bed or perhaps a dump bed.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
A few years ago I went to the Monterey Historic Races.
I enjoyed seeing nearly all the C, and D types ever produced.
Seeing Michael Schumachers F1 was interesting.
Getting to say Hi to Bobby Rahal and seeing his little racer was great.
What got my undying admiration was a 1917 Austin.
And the owner was the most generous answering my questions.

On Sunday we had our bikes loaded up and were rolling toward the coast. A few blocks down and around the corner we came upon a Ferrari 458 waiting in the center divider to turn left across our lane. His nose was sticking out into our lane a little, but we managed to not tear off his $50k bumper.

I feel a little sad about being so jaded that seeing any late model Ferrari, Lambo or even Mclaren only barely raises my interest anymore. They're great cars. I like them, really. But, living in OC, they seem almost common. And anything special about them is in the engineering, not ownership, which doesn't take anything more special than writing a check (albeit a big one). A couple of weeks ago I was at Cars & Coffee and Mclaren brought out their latest supercar (preproduction intro, not yet for sale). It was very nice and all, but.... the guy that brought the very good condition, unrestored, original, early seventies Mercury sedan (brown), that was interesting. That's something you don't see every day.

Anyway, back to Sunday and something really cool. A couple of miles past not hitting the 458 we saw a Mercedes Benz Unimog coming the other way. Looked brand new, army green with an open bed or perhaps a dump bed.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
A few years ago I went to the Monterey Historic Races.
I enjoyed seeing nearly all the C, and D types ever produced.
Seeing Michael Schumachers F1 was interesting.
Getting to say Hi to Bobby Rahal and seeing his little racer was great.
What got my undying admiration was a 1917 Austin.
And the owner was the most generous answering my questions.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I went in 1985.On the last day,after everything was done,
I decided that it would be better to wait for the crowd to leave,
rather than following all that stop-&-go traffic going down the hill
to the highway.I saw more really cool cars that I hadn't seen before.
We also found that if you park on the outside of the track,
(across the bridge from turn 9),you could just drive out to the North
gate of the base,where there was no traffic.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

I'm with you - so many supercars around here and I am so much more interested in a Unimog. Last week we were driving home following a Ferrari convertible. (I remember Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear (when it was still funny) talking about how the problem with Ferrari convertibles is that everyone could see his bald spot and hear the music he was playing - we got to see this guy's bald spot. :D ) - At any rate for let's say $250k I can buy some very interesting cars. Mercedes 190 SL/ E Type/ '52 Lagonda Drophead/ Jensen Interceptor/ Sunbeam Tiger/ Mustang Boss 302/ 63 Vette and the list goes on - and yes, a Unimog.

I do console myself that many of these cars - if they are at a show and I am parked next to them - I will get waayyy more people interested in the Midget. :smile:

Last edited:

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Someone said a Unimog? :p

I also get rather jaded by the modern exotic cars, lots of them here in Calgary... There are very few of the older exotics around here... Talking to one business owner a few years ago, he said that for the most part our market isn't very mature in terms of great interest in older exotics... Sucks! 😞 At the time I talked with him he was trying to start up a company here in Calgary just for body repair/restoration of high end exotics, not sure if he is still doing that...

One Unimog in the snow, February 2020, Millarville Race Track (horses people!) at a winter event...

Mercedes-Benz Unimog 01.jpg

Ian Mckenzie

Country flag
Someone said a Unimog? :p

I also get rather jaded by the modern exotic cars, lots of them here in Calgary... There are very few of the older exotics around here... Talking to one business owner a few years ago, he said that for the most part our market isn't very mature in terms of great interest in older exotics... Sucks! 😞 At the time I talked with him he was trying to start up a company here in Calgary just for body repair/restoration of high end exotics, not sure if he is still doing that...

One Unimog in the snow, February 2020, Millarville Race Track (horses people!) at a winter event...

View attachment 70210

I only see this type of truck in movies nowadays. It looks so cool.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I only see this type of truck in movies nowadays. It looks so cool.

Just dumb luck most times, but technically I went to an area I wasn't allowed into to get this photo, as it was an event happening

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just dumb luck most times, but technically I went to an area I wasn't allowed into to get this photo, as it was an event happening
Most of today's venues are rather tightly controlled but in the past, with a reasonable looking "PRESS" pass on a lanyard, a couple Nikons with long lenses slung on ya and a bag, it was possible to bust about any gate. I suspect a bit of research as to what the "Uniform of the Day" (lanyard colors, vest style, etc.) is, it would still be possible to get into places the rank-and-file may not. And a professional "attitude" helps.;)

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Most of today's venues are rather tightly controlled but in the past, with a reasonable looking "PRESS" pass on a lanyard, a couple Nikons with long lenses slung on ya and a bag, it was possible to bust about any gate. I suspect a bit of research as to what the "Uniform of the Day" (lanyard colors, vest style, etc.) is, it would still be possible to get into places the rank-and-file may not. And a professional "attitude" helps.;)
It was a fairly small event, related to skiing and horses, yes I said that... I think part of the reason for limiting access to that area was the horses... They eventually "caught" me... But at least I got the Unimog photo :p

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I want to see the photos of horses on skis.