• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Latest posts

Group events

Photography

Something Nikon never made

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Likely due to its limited audience. The self-timer lever doubled as a "metering lock" when pushed inboard, I found it a frustration to have to hold it in place at times. Came up with this widget to do the job:
expHold1.JPG
expHold2.JPG
expHold3.JPG

Just had to touch it on the "outboard" side of the lever and it released.

Best tool for me was that combination. 35~70 ∱3.5 and the FE with a motor drive. Just did an "equipment check" to find the inner contacts of the MD-11 corroded. A chopstick with some green Scotch-Brite fixed that.
filmcombo1.JPG

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Are you gonna refurb your entire line? I like how you caught the ceiling fixture in the lens. Frankly, I don't remember the metering lock. Maybe because I usually used an incident or spot meter and got into that habit before getting the FE. Pentax super program that my dad gave me. Man, the difference between the Pentax w/ autowinder and the Nikon w/ motor drive was huge.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Likely just the F-2 for now. Surprising to me, when I first checked the FE and it didn't respond I just set it aside and decided the F-2 would be the candidate for surgery. Today I pulled the FE out again and put different LR-44 batteries in it and it worked! The MD-11 had one post in the drive with a crust on it, so it got a 'deburring' and now all is well. At first I thought about doing the F-3 but it looks like it was used as a kid's pull-toy and would be a lot more expense. Metering inop, shutter not working. Found a half shot roll of Fuji 200 print film in it... The MD-4 is even worse.

I had a Seconic meter in the bag most times but got away from it with TTL when it became available.

Did a stint as a store manager in a Ma & Pa camera store in the mid to late '80's, and when the University freshmen began photo classes we would sell a PALLET full of Pentax K-1000's. Great rugged manual cameras. Had the rest of the Pentax line as well, those winders were kinda wimpy compared to Nikon's FE/FM motor drives for sure.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Another thing Nikon doesn't do is split focus screens for digital cameras. They want you to use auto focus or that stupid green dot in the lower left in the viewer. You can get them however. I made an adequate one based on a K3 screen for my 610. The K3 should fit your 7500. My mod was adding two tabs on the short ends that are half the thickness of the screen. These were for the retaining clip to hold the screen (and shims) in place. Or you can just buy a modded one.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That dot is more annoyance than help.

I've a number of screens for the FE & F-3 bodies, the diagonal split with microprism surround worked best for me. The K3 appears to be a horizontal split & prism, I may dig into this a bit deeper.

OTOH, maybe I should sell all the film cameras, accessories 'n doodads and forget the whole thing!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
One thing I found is the thickness of the screen matters. The Canon screens I saw were thinner and would require a lot of shimming to calibrate the focusing.