• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Someone jog my old memory

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
New carb problem.

Can only start Miss Agatha with the chokes out now and only keep her running with them out.

Hmm, fuel prob. and I mean the chokes out a lot.

Pistons fall correctly, adjustment nuts off 11 turns, idle screws out 2 turns. Starts well enough but wishs to die of fuel starvation unless I keep opening and closing the chokes to dump a fresh batch of fuel in there. Fuel is surely getting to the chamber as I still have a touch of a leak on each carb and the choke works.

I know, I need more hands.

Really, what am I doing stupid.

startech47

Jedi Knight
Jack,

Crank the engine with the lid of the float bowl over a can and see if fuel is coming out of the fuel inlet valve. Mine were sticking closed in my TR3 and causing the same condition. Also check the bottom of the float bowls for dirt.

Phil

Country flag
I assume you have the correct needles. I had a similar issue once, and it turned out to be the wrong size JETS. I do not know what car they were out of, but they certainly were too small. I know it is a long shot, but it is all I can think of at the moment.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Needles are GG and are new.

Fuel to carb body is not a prob.

startech47

Jedi Knight
Need to check the fuel through the carb body. Not to it. I had plenty of fuel to mine , but none in the float bowls. Phil

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Float bowls are full.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I think I would try a richer mixture to see what happens....

bugimike

Yoda
Jack try idle screws IN two turns! Sounds like you need more air!

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I just had something similar go on myself, 1/3 choke and it sounds good, no choke and death, even when warm.
Was over over over rich, and dynamic timing was off a few degrees.

bugimike

Yoda
Boy Jack you got us all going over this one, we are all, all over this place with this. Hmmm let me think! Arwe you turning 11 turns, or 11 FLATS? 11 turns sounds like way too much! You are probably way rich with 11 TURNS!!

I must leave for an X-mas party. Will log on when I get back and then will REALLY be ready to think about this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif Good cheer to all!

startech47

Jedi Knight
With the needles out how far down is the fuel level from the bridge? Are the IDs of the jets the same as the old ones? No air leaks past the carbs? Does the timing advance smoothly as up increase engine speed?

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Heck guys, I can't keep it running long enough now to check the other stuff. Oh yea 11 flats not turns.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You ain't goan beleive this and I should keep my mouth shut.

Thing I am out of fuel, LOL.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That would be good news I am sure.

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
Jack:

AFTER you get gas AND put in car, suggest you go back to square one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Remove dashpots assemblies, run the jets up to even with the bridges, mark outmost flat (centred to fender as flat may not be perfectly facing you) and mark w/felt tip. Turn down TWELVE flats. Disconnect one carb from shaft. Start and follow manual for rest. BTW, Manual SAYS 12!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif (Merry Christmas to ALL!!)

Ed

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just put 2+ gal in. Put about a gal and 1/2 first time. Had a bad line connection and dumped some on floor. Took some to fill lines and bring level up to pickup point in tank. Lost some due to leaking carbs. Ran some. Think that took care of that. Told ya I needed joged.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
And if we ALL hadn't done the same thing (many of us far too many times)we would laugh, but we can't.
Bill

bugimike

Yoda
Well, at least there was an easy remedy. Been there, done that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif Ed is right by the way, on all counts.