• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Some old military humor:

Country flag
Some others:

Upon encountering a snake in the Area of Operation (AO):

Paratrooper: Jumps out of plane, sights snake, steers chute to avoid snake, releases chute approx. 5' above ground, then lands on snake killing it anyway.

Armor: Runs over snake, giggles, and looks for more snakes.

Army Aviation: Has GPS grid to snake. Couldn't find snake. Back to base for crew rest, night-clubbing, and some sort of drink called "The sidewinder"

Ranger: Plays with the snake, then eats it.

Ranger (alt): Assaults the snake's home and secures it for use by friendly snakes.

SEAL: Expends all ammunition, several grenades and calls for naval gunfire in a failed attempt to kill the snake. The snake bites the SEAL then retreats to safety.

Corps Artillery: Kills snake, but in the process inflicts severe collateral damage to an area 5 miles in radius. Mission is considered a success and all participants are awarded Silver Stars. (Cooks, Mechanics, Legal Clerks etc.)

Marine Recon: Follows the snake and gets lost.

Combat Controller: Guides the snake elsewhere.

Pararescue: Wounds the snake in first encounter, pops smoke,
airlifts snake, then feverishly works to save the snake's life.

Special Forces: Makes contact with the snake, builds rapport, wins its heart and mind, then trains it to kill other snakes.

Infantry: pointman sights snake. Pointman hand-signals to squad leader of contact with snake. Squad leader hand-signals to pointman and squad to fall back. Squad leader calls platoon sgt for recommendations. Platoon sgt recommends engaging snake, but is counter-manded by platoon
leader. Platoon leader calls company commander, who then calls batallion co, who then contacts division commander, who now must wrestle with ramifications of snake encounter. Division co refers this monumental task to his second in command (executive officer). Division XO calls down
to batallion to get size, strength, and intentions of snake. Batallion attemptsto contact company to get information, but looses report when communications satellite required for transmission is retasked. Company
CO radios communications center requesting re-retask of satelite. Communications center tells Company CO that authorization of retask can only come from Division CO. Company CO in frustration leapforgs over both Batallion CO and Division XO, attempting to contact Division CO directly. The Division CO's secretary informs Company CO that the Division CO is out of the office, and recommends leaving a message. Snake gets bored, and slithers away. Several years later, 60 Minutes does an expose on what will eventually be known as, "The Snake Incident", in which all involved will deny any knowledge of the event ever happening...all except for the snake and the retired platoon sgt, who collectively write a bestselling book about the debacle.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...hmmm I thought the lowest thing inna ocean was whale chit... 'least that's what we got called as new AF recruits. Navy's sooo diff'rent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

At least a squid is ALIVE...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Nope, Doc....."smacks" were what we were called in the Army....you know: that lowly sound a whale's belly makes when it flops down on the ocean again..........SMACK!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hmmmm... somethings seem to change with time or something... we were calling our recruits and Marines straight from "schools" boots...... actually, some of our Master Guns called everyone around them boots including some Officers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Bret

Yoda
I was thinking the same thing as Rob. With the exception of a few colorful & demeaning expletives rendered in my direction Drill instructors for the most part just referred to us as Recruits or Private(s) while I was in Boot Camp. At NAS Memphis while attending my Aviation tech schools, we where referred to as either Marines or Jarheads depending if the instructor was a Marine or a Squid themselves.

Reporting to our respective units after training, we where often referred to as either Boots or Newbies.

Example: Early flight Ops - 5:30AM. A Flight Line shack on New River Air Station in North Carolina. A Salty ol Gunny walks in and tells a Crewchief to get his bird ready for a specific new mission. Then just as he is walking back out through the hatch turns & tells him to take a couple of the new Boots with him. The Crewchief turns & looks at the three of four new flight line members fresh out of school standing in the corner & points to the closest one – then just as he’s ready to pick another, he sees a young PFC sitting in a chair leaning on two legs against the bulkhead, with his cover pulled down over his eyes. The Wily Crewchief smiles & slowly walks over as the other newbies clear a path and stands right next to the slumbering Marine for a moment or two to add drama to the events about to unfold. Then turns & looking around just to make sure everyone is watching and abruptly kicks the legs of the chair out from under him. As the Boot backside hits the deck with a crash and laughter fills the line shack, the Crewchief bellows; “Duff! Get’yer ar$e in gear, we got work to do!” /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Doc, I remember the term "Jeep" being used for the newbies. Or, "FNG".
In basic, the new arrivals, still in civvies, were referred to as "rainbows", due to the different colors, as opposed to the rest of us, who were all strangely clad alike.
Jeff

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
oh... the FNG.... completely forgot about that one.... had some good laughs using that term.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Rainbows" and FNG!!! I'd forgotten completely... "Big Green Machine": The building at Lackland where the "rainbows" go IN and all those "srangely alike" FNG people came OUT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Bret

Yoda
I watched the movie “Jarhead” last night. And was reminded of a few more colorful names with “Maggot” being the only one repeatable in this forum. Also when the DI is addressing the platoon – he says basically that they (the recruits) are not black or white anymore, only shades of green. There are only Light Green & Dark Green Marines.

As for the movie: I thought it was a huge disappointment. About the only parts I liked were the boot camp & some of the training sequences afterwards. Other than that the only other positive note was Jamie Fox as SSGT Siek!

“I thank god for every day I have in the Corps - hooraw!” SSGT Siek quote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

That said - I still think one of the best Marine Corps movies is FMJ with the Sands of Iwo Jima a close second. Honorable mention to the “Boys of Company C”, the “Baby Blue Marine” (loser) and “The DI” with Dragnet star Jack Web.

Semper Fi Maggot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif