• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Some cool Pics of my MK1

ctp

Hey there. I am pretty new to this forum. I recently got a 1957 TR3 and so have been posting in that forum. I Also have an AH '59 Mk1. Just came acrossed some pretty cool pics of it I tookand inverted a few years ag. Thought I'd share...

inverted.jpg

Inverte2.jpg

OP
C

ctp

Here are the originals...

DSCF1006.jpg

DSCF1017.jpg

OP
C

ctp

Here it is when I got it..

DSCF5719.jpg

DSCF5720.jpg

DSCF5725.jpg

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There ctp,

My `57 Small Mouth Ext. color is perhaps a shade lighter than your Frogeye but close.

I just was driving thru and wanted to say; "It looks Great"! I had a `58 Frogeye before I got into my TR3.

See Y`All on the Triumph Forum.

Regards, Russ

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Please share how you insure the bonnett stays down, or ................

OP
C

ctp

Thru several attempts I settled on a final design and cut for my front hinges. Each side is somewhat different. My car had been in a front impact at some point in its past. Anyway, once the hinges were done I made some guides for each side as you can see in the second pic. With a row of rubber padding on the underside of the Bonnet and the guides it sits square and snug. Gravity has held it down in every circumstance I have encountered. It's pretty heavy. I was going to put a strap on each side and considered the Spitfire type latches but never got that far. Maybe next time I put it on the "winter project" list I will Do it. By the way, I saved a template of my hinge design if anyone is interested...

Here is a shot where you can see the right hinge. The hood does not open as far with the bumper installed.
DSCF7350.jpg

Here you can see the guides I made up and installed on each side.
DSCF1018.jpg

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks, that is just the answer I expected.

Everyone ties these down and I also did not see the need to do so. Unless raceing of course.

I have a set of the forward tilt hinges and as Miss Agatha has no front bumper it will open way up which is what I need. Old folks need all the help they can get.

Thanks

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Jack,

I saw another way to do it last weekend. And I should have gotten a picture. A guy from Middletown OH with his wife's BE uses an inside J shaped hook. He drilled a single hole right below where the hood hinges would sit if the bonnet was closed. He removed the hood hinge or perhaps left part of the hood hinge there but bolted to the bonnet. Anyway the J hook could reach up from within the cockpit and hook into a U Bolt of some some sort the bottom of the hinge bracket. A wingnut tightened down the J hook and applied tension to the back of the bonnet. It was a really simple design.

When not in use or to open the bonnet loosen the wingnut and the J Hook just drops down and out of the way.

CP I like the clips you made to hold the bonnet in place. I use a set of McMaster Carr Adjustable Draw Latches in Stainless. Two small holes to mount them. Can you provide a closeup to the clip you use to hold the back of the bonnet in place.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If anyone is interested in some front tilt hinges, I have a few of these available. Works both with and without bumpers.

hinge2s.jpg

Front%20Hinge%20.jpg

startech47

Jedi Knight
Very nice. I like the slide link. Has the slide link in the picture been altered? It looks like it may have a slot on both ends.

OP
C

ctp

Here are some more detail pics of my hinges. I am exposing myself ther. My car is no trailor queen. Hanger Rash is what it suffers from and some neglect I must say. About time to do it right. Anyway, Here are shots of the hinges, bumper mount and alignment bracket I made and a scan of the template. I am no engineer or drafstman (you can probably tell) but this may help.

Template scan
BugeyeHingescan.jpg

Left Hinge with Bumper mount
DSCF4789.jpg

Left Hinge downward shot
DSCF4791.jpg

Right hinge downward shot
DSCF4792.jpg

Alignment bracket Left side
DSCF4795.jpg

OP
C

ctp

Oh, here are pics of my latest mod. I picked this steering wheel up at a local flea market. I made the adaptor with a step down pulley using my mill and drill press. I love the feel of the new wheel.

DSCF4786.jpg

DSCF4787.jpg

DSCF4788.jpg

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
startech47 said:
Very nice. I like the slide link. Has the slide link in the picture been altered? It looks like it may have a slot on both ends.

No. the one end is strictly a pivot. But I see what you mean in the "installed" picture. That is someone else's install and it looks like they moved the pivot point with an extra hole.

OP
C

ctp

Bonnet Hinges

I sure like those hinges Gerard has. It definitely looks like he got it right! Love the slide link too. Wish I had those when I put mine together. Maybe next time...:smile:
How much do you sell the set for?

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Re: Bonnet Hinges

ctp said:
I sure like those hinges Gerard has. It definitely looks like he got it right! Love the slide link too. Wish I had those when I put mine together. Maybe next time...:smile:
How much do you sell the set for?

Thanks CTP... PM sent

OP
C

ctp

Well you might not like it. Eh.... drive yer own. Buy a car for $600 and never go in the red on it. That's my motto. But you gotta do the work yourself too! Function precedes design. Or it should. But the design gets refined.... if you got the time and money. AS long as it does function Your good to go.

OP
C

ctp

Well you might not like it. Eh.... drive yer own. Buy a car for $600 and never go in the red on it. That's my motto. But you gotta do the work yourself too! Function precedes design. Or it should. But the design gets refined.... if you got the time and money. AS long as it does function Your good to go.

OP
C

ctp

The AN5L in a local photo shoot:

8713402_orig.jpg

68853_10150301491005637_519740636_15291070_3907338_n.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag