• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Sold the Healey 3000, bought a TR6

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Out with the old:
Copyoffencefront34.jpg

In win the new:
4940271f.jpg

464f5c0d.jpg

6d824673.jpg

a52ebd94.jpg

What did I buy?

It actually looks a lot nicer than it is. No rust, solid everywhere. It starts good stops straight and runs reasonably well. The paint is not good and was painted over amateurish body work. It will need to be redone. Leaks oil, brake booster not working. All electrical works except hazard switch, speedo is off. Interior is good except the wood dash. Top, seats and carpet is new.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Nice to see that you joined up with the Triumph enthusiasts, but I have one question<span style="font-size: 12pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">....WHY?...</span></span>why did you get rid of that gorgeous Healey??

Good luck with the TR-6. :cheers:

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the Triumph forum. :smile:

Scott

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
I tend to like to build the cars, more than the driving and I wasn't getting the enjoyment out of the car, like I was when I was putting it together. Before the Healey was the GT350 clone. I have always liked the TR6 and came came across this one. It was solid, pretty complete, some work done, but enough problems that it kept other buyers away. I struck a good deal and ready to make it my own. I know nothing about the marque and as I look at pictures, I will need to find a lot of little pieces.

Any good sites/posts on how to tune/sync the strombergs?

8451cbb6.jpg

front.jpg

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I know what you are saying about building, but I sure love those big Healys!

Welcome to the "club".

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
You say it leaks OIL??? How could that happen???

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Moseso said:
You say it leaks OIL??? How could that happen???

I asked one Triumph owner if his car leaked oil. He said "The only Triumph that doesn't leak oil is one that is out of oil".

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Check out Buckeye Triumphs technical section, good info there. Ken (Aka Poolboy)and I went back and forth on photo documenting rebuild items as well a couple of years ago as well. You can find that by using a Search here. Lot of other expertise as well here.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The only Triumph that doesn't leak oil is one that is out of oil[/QUOTE]

Or that has an LS1 or Ecotec engine in it...... :devilgrin:

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Dragged the car home today. Looks and runs a bit rough, but the car has potential and can't wait to get started.

c1993a6d.jpg

dfd8e140.jpg

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Nothing quite like looking out your rear window to see a new car on the trailer. A bit addictive for some of us.

Keep us posted on how you get on with her.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Drats, If I knew you were looking for a TR6 and dumping the 3000, I would have disassembled mine and we could have made a deal...

Nah, not really, but I do like the 3000, always have. Unfortunately all I had back then was a TR4 pocket book and here I am.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
If you want to make it go faster the Williams book on Improving TR6 is a good resource, too, even if you don't go with his go fast mods, he covers the things you should do to make the car stronger/safer pretty well.

I really liked your Healey Z based on the pics and description in the Healey forum, but I can understand the appeal of improving them, then when they are done, although nice and fun to drive, no more tinkering to do, and you think about moving on.

Do you have plans, just make it look and run good, or some major performance mods?

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
glemon,

Today was day one. I took it for two long drives and I have to say, I really enjoyed the car. Quite different from my Cobra replica and Healey, but frankly the 6 is a better car for cruising the countryside. I really liked the feeling of the car.

I'm not sure what to do with the car. I spent more on body/paint on the Healey than I spent to buy the 6. I know I have to watch the expenses on the 6 to not get too upside down.

I will get it safe, comfortable (6'4") and reliable before I take on the paint and body. I adjusted timing and carbs today. It actually runs pretty decent.

Another side of me says to fix the items to get it running right, sell with the current driver quality body and paint for $7k, then find a low mileage cream puff for twice that. Not sure, but I do know I will enjoy driving it while I get it sorted out.