• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Sold my TR6

DanNagy

Jedi Trainee
Hi everyone. I sold my TR6 on eBay on Wednesday, and thanks to everyone over the past years that helped me find Quantum for the overdrive unit, and for Patton's TBI fuel injection. Also thanks to Sports Car Haven in PA for the excellent restoration on the car. I hope the new owner really enjoys it the rest of the summer and for a long time to come. I did my job of putting one back on the road for another 30+ years.

Now I have a 1980 TR7 with a blown engine (anybody have an engine to sell?), and a 1963 Spitfire. I don't think I can give up the Spitfire just yet. It is just a hoot to drive, although it's a real beater in appearance. At least I can park it anywhere! The TR7 has a rust-free body and seems quite tight, but needs refurbished with the engine, paint, and some interior parts. I am conflicted whether to let it go as is, or fix it up to sell it.

Thanks again.

Dan

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Dan,

Sorry to see the car go, but you'll still be here which is great.

Maybe we can get the new owner here as well?

Good luck with the TR7. You might want to contact Erik at Her Majesty's Service. He may have an engine for a TR7. I know that he owns one and I think that he told me once he had another engine that he was building or going to build for it.
Her Majesty's Service

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think the TR7 is the second best TR they ever built. I'll reluctantly concede the TR8 for the best one. The 7s aren't bringing high dollars yet so if you put $5,000.00 in it you can probably sell it for $5,000.00. The best thing to do if the body is sound, and they can be deceptive, is to fix it up and drive it. They are big enough and comfortable enough for two people to tour extensively in. They handle exceptionally well. The engine, once gotten right, is powerful, economical and reliable. As you probably know from your previous experience, the mechanical stuff is easier than the body work and engine stuff for the 7 is readily available. I think you could probably do Patton's TBI to one too, though we could get an argument about it's suitability on a four cylinder as opposed to the six. I sure wish I had the FI off my 7 on my J-H. I had trouble with it early on, but it has sure spoiled me since. I consider carburetors little more than metered fuel leaks by comparison. Do consider keeping the 7 and enjoying it. I think you would like it better than the Spit for touring. AAR Good Luck and God Bless.

OP
DanNagy

DanNagy

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Paul, I'll give him a try.

Also, I will contact the new owner about the forum. Yes, I'll probably hold on to the Spitfire if I can find a place to store it. The TR7 is definately going to go, though, but I really don't want to donate the body to a project. It's really a good solid car just needing an engine.

OP
DanNagy

DanNagy

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Dale. Yeah, I bought a new TR7 in 1980 and we drove it down to the beach often, and through the PA mountains all the time. I agree with everything you are saying, but I just can't keep five, now four cars and live abroad. I had them in storage, but now bought a house in PA for my retirement and only have a two-car garage. Paying a mortgage and then additional storage space for cars is a little crazy. The Spit is fun to drive through the mountains, but I have (dare I say it) a 1990 MX-5 for long touring. I think one Brit and one JP is going to work for me.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
And admittedly I may be biased here, but if I had to choose between the Spit and the TR7 I'd take the TR7 since it is more usable (ducks).... My Spitfire was a really good car but it just doesn't have the legs, space and top town air flow management that the TR7 does (ducks again).

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dan,
It's great exchanging thoughts with you. It always comes down to personal circumstances after all doesn't it. Good luck in everything.

OP
DanNagy

DanNagy

Jedi Trainee
Yes Dale, true, but now you guys are making me have second thoughts about the TR7! Anyway, I should at least get the engine done, drive it a little, then decide. If I can get an engine, I'll ask my brother to help me put it into the TR7.

The TR6 was a checkbook car and I really had nothing personal invested in it. It was beautiful, but I always envied you guys that can do your own work. That's why I bought the Spitfire. The Spit is a beater that I plan to work on while I am home for the month of August. I can't to do the mechanical stuff which I still had done for me (engine and tranny rebuilt), but I can strip the paint off and prepare the body. I have done that before. I am wondering if I should try to paint it. I have never done that, and I know it is really an art. But there was a guy here last year that painted his TR6 and it looked pretty good. I need to think on that one. I will definitely paint the underbody myself. I plan to use the POR products on the Spit. I have read a lot about them, and they look good, especially for the frame and underbody. Any thoughts on that? I believe with a couple of guys we should be able to lift the body right off the frame, and I can wire brush it and give it a good coating. I am a little worried about messing with the shims, and wonder if taking a short cut is worth it. It's hard to find somebody who can do an alignment with shims. It also needs a new interior, including a small diameter steering wheel to accommodate my long legs. I can do that stuff, too.

Anyway, I know you all will help me here, and it's a comfort to know that.

P.S. The car was delivered today, so I guess I need to change my avatar....