• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"Soap" vs "Detergent"?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I just ordered some 303 Protectant for the vinyl top on my Miata.
The product suggests that I first wash the top with "soap" and not "detergent"
There's a difference? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

A

aerog

They mean don't use something like dishwashing detergent (except in rare cases you shouldn't use it on the car anyway)- they're harsh on vinyls/fabrics, and strip wax.

Use a non-detergent based auto wash, or other products designed to be used on your car.

If you have dirt build-up in the "grain" on the vinyl mix up some car wash in a spray bottle, soak the area, and rub lightly with a "magic eraser" - works like a charm (on interiors too).

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
Nial,
Soaps are the salt of animal fat (tallow) and / or vegetable (i.e. coconut) oils / fatty acids. Soap would be considered a natural surfactant. Detergents are the synthetic version of soap and are often petroleum derived. Technically soap is a detergent but this is the difference they were talking about.

You can often read the ingredients or find the MSDS and tell if it is synthetic or not. A popular liquid car wash concentrate lists Sodium Alkyl Aryl Sulfonate and Sodium Olefin Sulfonate as ingredients which would make it a detergent / synthetic. If the ingredients have "petroleum distillate" or "naphtha" then it would be synthetic as well. Also assume that if it is a granule it is synthetic.

steve99

Jedi Trainee
Sorry, I cant be of much more help regarding soap vs. detergent, but if you have not used 303 before, you'll like it. works great on just about everything, I use it most on my kevlar canoe to prevent fading.

Steve

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Aerog's post is spot on and is also supported by the reference he provided. "Car Wash" is for cars, Detergent is for the laundry and dishes.---Fwiw--Keoke