• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

So, what do you keep?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Kind of a serious question. I have a garage with more cr*p in it than it needs, I have a shed that I built in 2019 that I could easily park my mower in - not so easy any more. (in other words I genuinely don't have unlimited space and that is unlikely to change)

We have all had the issue where the part we needed we threw out last week.
I also want to make sure that the car (Vauxhall) actually works before I get rid of stuff, but do I really need a tub of headlight buckets? and 6 extra door handles when the two good ones have been re-chromed?

and 4 extra grilles?

I just went to look for things and just got discouraged.

thoughts? :cheers:

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Similar problem with my TR3 stuff. head, 2 blocks, a crank, front apron, trunk lid, 2 seats miscellaneous smaller parts and who know what else. Haven't touched any of it since resto finished in 2012.

Bob

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
When I first moved to California, I was relocating every 6 months. The second move, I noticed there were boxes I had never opened from the previous move. I put dates on those boxes and any others from the current move. If a year went by and I hadn't opened them, I threw them out without even opening them. I've been in the same place now for over 25 years. I no longer have unopened boxes, but I have stuff I haven't used. Every couple years I have a "No Mercy Purge" I don't care if it is nice, I don't care if it has worth, I throw it out. Well, actually I put it in the alley. Some of it finds a home in less than 10 minutes.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just to lighten things up a bit... I had an old kitchen appliance that I used “occasionally” for parts to keep ours running and keep SWMBO happy. I hadn’t used the one for parts in years so I threw it out.
A couple of weeks ago the one my wife uses stopped working. No problem, I’ll just go into my shop and grab a part off the spare one.
I then remembered that I had thrown it out. I bought another one for parts AGAIN off eBay.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I’m a shedder, I shed stuff that I don’t need. Last week my lady friend and I went through hundreds of old photos. Many of them were of my late wife’s family. We saved some that we felt my kids may want. The rest we put in a big storage container and took them with us to a family wedding. My in-laws were excited to have them (we’ll see how long that lasts) whatever they do with them is no longer my problem!
When I finish a restoration (I’m on my third) I give away any leftover parts to any club member that wants them. I have had to clean out two family houses after folks could no longer stay there. My father in law had coffee cans filled with nails left over from when he built his house in 1952. I won’t do that to my kids.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I'm a collector, big time, probably too much... I just acquired a 1938 road map of western Canada (which is where I live, and the earliest road map I've been able to acquire), and over many years I have accumulated a large collection of vintage photos

I do have a habit of collecting items of paper, things like the program from a jazz festival from three years ago, some notes about something I don't even remember, etc... I have no problem recycling things like that, unless there is a real obvious reason to keep it...

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Kind of a serious question. I have a garage with more cr*p in it than it needs, I have a shed that I built in 2019 that I could easily park my mower in - not so easy any more. (in other words I genuinely don't have unlimited space and that is unlikely to change)

We have all had the issue where the part we needed we threw out last week.
I also want to make sure that the car (Vauxhall) actually works before I get rid of stuff, but do I really need a tub of headlight buckets? and 6 extra door handles when the two good ones have been re-chromed?

and 4 extra grilles?

I just went to look for things and just got discouraged.

thoughts? :cheers:
The universal problem of gear heads! I would ask yourself for each piece if you REALLY think you'll need it and if not, sell what you know you will never use on EBay. Stuff you don't think you could sell - toss.

Speaking of cr*p, I just spent 3 days cleaning out my office. I don't know how I accumulate so much junk, but I actually tossed out two huge black contractor bags full of junk that I had been keeping, thinking I "might" use this or that some day. I finally forced myself to toss stuff that I concluded I probably would never use again.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
glad to hear it isn't only me. I think that a slightly more ruthless cleanout is warranted. (Boss, at least my office is coming! Have been scanning a lot of stuff as well)

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
glad to hear it isn't only me. I think that a slightly more ruthless cleanout is warranted. (Boss, at least my office is coming! Have been scanning a lot of stuff as well)
My wife's office is next...that should prove even more fun!

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Boss, you better stay out of your wife's office.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I still have things like 3 VW Rabbit brand new rectangular headlights, TR6 uprated motor mounts never opened, 3 12V coils (non-ballast type), one TR6 sway bar link (new), Smiths water temp gauge with bracket, 3/8 wide Moss fan belt (assume for TR6) in original packaging (brand new & never used), TR6 rear suspension shim and a few assorted running lights.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I ain't sayin' nuttin...

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My wife's office is next...that should prove even more fun!
A fellow from my church was talking about his garage which was falling down and needed to be removed - unfortunately the garage was filled with his wife's last three offices.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I still have things like 3 VW Rabbit brand new rectangular headlights, TR6 uprated motor mounts never opened, 3 12V coils (non-ballast type), one TR6 sway bar link (new), Smiths water temp gauge with bracket, 3/8 wide Moss fan belt (assume for TR6) in original packaging (brand new & never used), TR6 rear suspension shim and a few assorted running lights.
some of that seems easier though and I suspect things like new VW headlights have value to someone

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm the world's worst in this category... I ended up buying a surplus 18 x 24 military tent that I put at my parents farm to hold all my extra stuff... works great, can be moved but definetly not helping my habit of hanging on to everything imaginable. A strong wind flipped it over so I put the rims and tires for my FJ40 project on the corners and it solved that problem

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So quick update - Today I got rid of a box of old (car) radios. The fellow that picked them up was probably in his early 30's - and was putting (hopefully) a Muntz 8 Track/am/fm in his original Mini. (lovely - he showed me pics) - nice to see a young enthusiast. That was just a 'take it it's free' box.

Yesterday however I sold a number of Vauxhall Parts (grilles/ steering wheel etc. etc. to England - This is a double win - it gets rid of parts and without having kept strict track, it should cross the threshold that the income from these parts plus other parts I have sold will total more than I bought the car for - not a bad deal.

In the midst of messaging the buyer in England I got a message from a guy in New Zealand who also wants some parts. (Kind of fun having some of the last parts in the world for these cars :smile: ) :Cheers:

And the lawnmower fits the shed again!

Country flag
I just tell folks I come by it honestly. When my maternal grandmother passed in 94 and we cleaned out the barn I found boxes of old school tests, both taken and not used, she had been a high school teacher from the 30s till about 1970. Anyway, some of what was there was worth keeping, old family photos and documents, but so much was things you just had to wonder what prompted keeping it. I have more than I probably should, but I try to be reasonable about papers, magazines and other stuff.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
JP,

Now that you have all that room,how about stopping by,
& buy up all my spare stuff?