• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Smiths RVI Positive Ground Tachometer Bench Test ?

Country flag
... It will need to be checked against a external tach for accuracy and may need further calibration. Another time. At least it works now.

Calibration is a piece of cake. There should be a trimmer pot on the tach's CB--you'll need to drill a hole in the back of the case unless you want to do trial-and-error--and you just have to tweak it to calibrate. I calibrated mine with a Sears passive dwell-tach, and I've confirmed reasonable accuracy over the years using a gear ratio calculator. The gear ratio calculators take gear ratios, RPM and tire diameter and give speed; if you know speed, gear ratios and tire diameter you can solve for RPMs (i.e. you can 'close the loop').

OP
B

britishrich

Freshman Member
Calibration is a piece of cake. There should be a trimmer pot on the tach's CB--you'll need to drill a hole in the back of the case unless you want to do trial-and-error--and you just have to tweak it to calibrate. I calibrated mine with a Sears passive dwell-tach, and I've confirmed reasonable accuracy over the years using a gear ratio calculator. The gear ratio calculators take gear ratios, RPM and tire diameter and give speed; if you know speed, gear ratios and tire diameter you can solve for RPMs (i.e. you can 'close the loop').

Hi Bob, Thanks for the info. Yes it'll have to be another time as I ran out of that time yesterday, late day, and didn't have a separate tach with me. I have a nice dial-back timing light with digital tach built in but didn't have it with me. I was happy to get the tach finally working as the owner needed the car for Monday AM. Surprisingly, my ears told me the tach was reading pretty darn close to engine RPM. It was great to see that needle finally move.

Yes Mark's document had a nice writeup in there for calibration, and I need to drill a hole in the tach case to easily access the potentiometer(pic below) when I get the car back.

P1030009.jpg

Rich

Country flag
Also, the state of California thoughtfully places radar speed signs along the roads so that Healey owners can calibrate and cross-check their speedometers and, indirectly, their tachometers.