Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Yeah, and to be honest, I just don't know if this is
most proper, but that's it for now. They had to be
5/16 fine thread, but I bought a little over 3" and
turned out to be just a bit long. I'll go with 3"
the next time around.
I have an old homemade stand. It requires 4 inch long bolts. And no matter what, I could only get in 3. So I have a TR3A engine hanging off a homeade stand with just 3 5/16ths bolts holding it on...
It's been that way for three months, no problems. Still makes me nervous sometimes.
I just took mine off of the stand yesterday! I attached it to the backplate and grabbed 3 of the 3/8" holes and 1 of the 5/16" holes. That gave me nice distribution and balance. I also used washers on both sides. Keep the motor suspended from your crane, attach it to the stand and slowly take the weight off of the crane. When you're satisfied that the stand has the weight and the engine is balanced, remove it from the crane.
It would be smart to buy the highest grade bolts you can find, and I don't mean from Lowes or Home Depot. I was driving some 1/4" lag screws into a treated fence post over the weekend and snapped 6 or the 8 bolts off with a drill driver. I know they weren't treated bolts but they were indeed Chinese. I buy all my high-demand bolts and such from a bolt specialty shop.
I have the "same" stand and what I did was build an interface plate between the engine and the stand. That way I could use ALL the bolt holes that the tranny mounts to the engine with to attach the plate to the engine and then I could use bigger bolts to attach the plate to the stand. You can see a picture of it at: https://ca.geocities.com/adrio@rogers.com/Tr4/tr4pics/enginepaintl.jpg
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.