• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Smaller diameter steering wheel - that looks like stock?

Chris_Masucci

Hi Folks,

During my 3200 mile jaunt across the northeast for Enclave, I realized that with my seat angle mods for my back issues, the stock diameter steering wheel rubs my leg. I've raised the front of the seat an inch.

Does anyone know of a stock look steering wheel in a 15" diameter? Or am I going to have to cut up a old spare and make one?

Thanks!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI;

There were some 14" ones but I have no idea where you would find one today.

E Bay has a selection of 14" aftermarket wheels

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Hi Folks,

During my 3200 mile jaunt across the northeast for Enclave, I realized that with my seat angle mods for my back issues, the stock diameter steering wheel rubs my leg. I've raised the front of the seat an inch.

Does anyone know of a stock look steering wheel in a 15" diameter? Or am I going to have to cut up a old spare and make one?

Thanks!
I wanted a smaller wheel that was maybe something that looked authentic and I came up with this style. It also allowed me to stain it to match the dash and shift knob color.

Attachments

• DSC03037.JPG
    DSC03037.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 117

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Patrick:
I wanted a smaller wheel that was maybe something that looked authentic and I came up with this style. It also allowed me to stain it to match the dash and shift knob color

Man that is neat-:encouragement:

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I do not think they came in 15 inch. Personally i would fit a 15 inch Derrington wheel. The original style were fitted simply because they were cheap. They cost less than £1. Donald Healey expected customers to change them for a more 'sporty' version.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Here's a 14" one that Tim Moran made:

Image32.jpg

Cut down your spokes to the desired size, weld a rim on, pad with foam and lace a Wheelskins leather cover on. A bit less padding than on Mike's wheel would probably make it as close to original as you'll get, although you wouldn't have a bakelite rim. Otherwise, I'd be contacting Mike Lempert for a custom wheel.

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
One consideration on steering wheel size is whether the replacement obscures the instruments either because of the wheel diameter or the thickness of the grip surface. I have a rather fat, leathered-cover wheel in my car--really quite nice--but I have to crane my head to read the gauges on either side of the dash. Several years ago I bought a really nice 15" Mota Lita-style steering wheel for my Jag Mark 2. I believe the original fitted on it was 17". Switching to the 15" on that car changed the driving experience that I will liken to switching from an old pickup truck to a real nice-driving sports sedan. As a bonus it seemed to reduce the amount of steering input going down the road. I had no idea that the change would be that dramatic, more significant to many other upgrades I did on that car.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I wanted a smaller wheel that was maybe something that looked authentic and I came up with this style. It also allowed me to stain it to match the dash and shift knob color.

Are those A/C vents below the dash and centre where the speaker bezel would normally be ?

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Are those A/C vents below the dash and centre where the speaker bezel would normally be ?
Yes. I had a Factory AC unit(made by BMC Coolair, Miami, FL), installed for several years and sold it and built/installed a custom unit. I paid for the development of the special bracket that holds the alternator and compressor that replaces the original generator bracket. The control faceplate replicates the original facial panel faceplate(I already had the holes in the facial from the original control plate). I located a source for the skirted knobs and had them engraved as the originals were. A custom condenser was also fabricated.

Attachments

• DSC02337.JPG
    DSC02337.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2041.jpg
    IMG_2041.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC01276.jpg
    DSC01276.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 84

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There's just something not right about putting A/C in a convertible in my mind JMHO.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
There's just something not right about putting A/C in a convertible in my mind JMHO.
I do have a Factory Hardtop to go with it. It is also going to be over 100 degrees next week where I live so why not extend my driving time? Donald Healey told me "it made the car quite comfortable".

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

Well Healey Nut

I have been in Vancouver BC in the summertime and it did get surprisingly warm,BUT:

Come on down here in AZ where it is 105 degrees in ah shade en the only thing you will think is not right about it will be when it fails.:highly_amused:

Patrick I know where you comin from.:applause:
I've been thinking about this(LOL), why have a heater in the Northern states and Canada? Same difference?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've been thinking about this(LOL), why have a heater in the Northern states and Canada? Same difference?

Patrick !!
Why! did you say that.:highly_amused:

Naw it is not the same difference.

Cus in the northern states if you get cold you can put on enough clothes to get warm.

On the other hand ,if you in the South western states and its 115 degrees ain't no way in L you gonna get :cool: even if you strip down to your birthday suit.-:angel2:

OH That:cool: setup in your car is great.

"Do not reply to this E-Mail"---:highly_amused:

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Believe me I know all about it .
Im an HVAC tech during the day and people don't complain to much when it gets cold they just put on a sweater etc but when the temp/humidity climbs and the A/C isn't working then its like world war three just broke out ......heaven forbid someone may sweat a bit ....Oh my goodness we cant have that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still stand by my statement though, must be my stiff British upper lip . Old British convertibles should NOT have A/C its "Just not Cricket" as they say .:encouragement::cool::smile: