Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Bugsy IV's spare 5.20 x 13 vs. New Tires and Wheels. Size does matter. First real shakedown cruise today, next step replacing wheel studs all around with 2" Wheel studs to I can mount these new wheels and tires. 175 x 70 x 13. they look huge. View attachment 49678
Jim
Same size tire I have on my BE
If you are going to take the trouble of replacing the wheel studs I would recommend that you go up from the stock 3/8 to 7/16.
I do not know what wheels you are using but the longer studs have a longer unthreaded section which may be an issue when fitting the nut. I needed to increase the threaded section a little when I removed a wheel spacer.
I know that the stock studs will come out in the rear without removing the hub but I do not recall if the longer stud could be fitted without removing the hub assy.
Inserts on the wheels are set up for 3/8 already. I do not want to swap out to 7/16 and get wheels and hubs redrilled to fit 7/16. Not comfortable with present 1.5" stud length and having less than 1/2" of stud left sticking out of the rim after mounting the wheel. Fronts I have a little more meat available up there. Studs IIRC are threaded almost all of the way. Wheels are 8 Spoke JBW, similar to Minilite or VTO. Wheel thickness in the hub area is perhaps 3/4" vs. Pressed Steel wheel thickness of perhaps 1/4" probably less for both measurements but Aluminum wheel is thicker hence the need for longer wheel studs. Since I have not measured this difference in thickness already just guessing on actual thickness.
Being able to replace studs without pulling everything apart would be nice but I don't think possible.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.