• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Six turning and four burning

Basil

Administrator
Boss
The character of Gen Hawkes (played by Frank Lovejoy) in Stategic Air Command was based on LeMay.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The character of Gen Hawkes (played by Frank Lovejoy) in Stategic Air Command was based on LeMay.

Remember the scene where a "civilian DC-3" lands on the base due to "emergency". Aircraft door opens and out comes Hawkes, saying something like "you just put the entire base at risk by letting us land here."

And if I recall, something similar really happened at a base, and LeMay wasn't pleased.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Remember the scene where a "civilian DC-3" lands on the base due to "emergency". Aircraft door opens and out comes Hawkes, saying something like "you just put the entire base at risk by letting us land here."

And if I recall, something similar really happened at a base, and LeMay wasn't pleased.

Yep, one of many great scenes from that movie. One scene in the movie that was a bit of a flub was when Dutch was being sent to Greenland. He askes his wife if she wants him to bring her back a penguin. I guess none of the writers or editors realized that there are no penguines in Greenland.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
And when he's told, before his first flight on a routine mission:

"Just one takeoff, and one landing."

When he got back home, 25 hours later, June Allyson was not happy.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'd like to get one of those old Sun machines that LeMay is using.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I used to hear a B-36 flying over way up in the sky. I always recognized the peculiar drone of the engines. One plane you can hear today is the Italian Piaggio with the canard wing. That high-pitched whine has gotten it barred from quite a few airports.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
hmmm - I'm thinking that around 4:00 and later, the exterior shots of the 36 show the a/c bouncing in response to all the power with the brakes full on.

But the interior shots show the a/c is perfectly stable and stationary.

or ... ?

Basil

Administrator
Boss
hmmm - I'm thinking that around 4:00 and later, the exterior shots of the 36 show the a/c bouncing in response to all the power with the brakes full on.

But the interior shots show the a/c is perfectly stable and stationary.

or ... ?

Astute observation but not what I ws referring to. Actually, at about that time there are two boo boos.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Woo-hoo - cockpit window still open at take-off, even tho' it had been closed a few minutes earlier.

IMDB "goofs" says pitot tubes are still covered, but they look uncovered to me.

a-HA! Nose cannon covers are still on at take-off. Maybe that's what the other IMDB guy was seeing when he thought "pitot".

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Woo-hoo - cockpit window still open at take-off, even tho' it had been closed a few minutes earlier.

IMDB "goofs" says pitot tubes are still covered, but they look uncovered to me.

a-HA! Nose cannon covers are still on at take-off. Maybe that's what the other IMDB guy was seeing when he thought "pitot".

You cheated - but you got it - and yes, they are nose guns not pitot tubes - that plane is clearly not about to roll down the runway - file footage probably.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Gotta love a general who works on his own car!

Colin Powell, in his biography, describes working on the SU's on his Volvo.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In the early '70's we did a TDY to Dover AFB, to do a promo film of a four-star pitching the C-5 to the Pentagon. Kleeg lights, Arriflex and 'sticks', cables, Nagra recording gear, etc. up that steep and narrow cockpit ladder, HOT summer day... the final piece was edited together to first depict a C-5 landing, then the general in the A/C seat, mock throttle down, talking about the aircraft's capabilities. The guy was a real pip. Showed up late, stepped out of a staff car in a BLUE flight suit, stars on epaulettes. Didn't know the script (in a SIX take, supposedly scripted blurb). A real ordeal for us. Wish I could find a copy of that film, or the still shots I took.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Maybe some of you new folks didn't know it but in the late 1950s, because General Curtis LeMay was a sports car nut - I think he had an Allard - races were held on SAC airbases. **** on tires. I saw them run National SCCA races with Ferraris, Scarabs, the Sadler special from Canada, Arnolt Bristols, etc at Beverly, MA, Montgomery, NY and, I think, Westover AFB in MA. I think Sebring was also an airfield back when. The Scarab was also my idea of what an ideal sports car would look and sound like. They have one down in Naples, FL at the combined Collier and Cunningham auto museums. I was down there two years ago with Vette and a mutual racing friend, nephew & wife. If you're ever down that way, don't miss that museum.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The former C.E.O. of the Collier Collection is an old friend. Another of the techs there was a co-worker for a while in western PA, too. Been thru the place a couple times. Got the "cook's tour" when Scotty was CEO. And a couple of the cars there were previously owned by friends.

D

Deleted member 8987

Cover on the cannon.....I know on turrets, to keep FOD out on takeoff, point them aft. Dope fabric over guns. You'd shoot through the cover if you needed the cannon. Sure that wasn't there on purpose?

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Cover on the cannon.....I know on turrets, to keep FOD out on takeoff, point them aft. Dope fabric over guns. You'd shoot through the cover if you needed the cannon. Sure that wasn't there on purpose?

No, not sure.