• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Simpe Simon Scroll Saw

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Yup scroll saw alliteration. :D. A couple of years ago I picked up this saw off our local freecycle and am fixing it up for my daughter. Not the actual saw b ut it looks like thie:

1644782032623.png

It seems to have been made in the 40's and early 50's for Canadian Department Stores and, apparantly Government Surplus in the USA

The saw itself has an oil bath lubrication system for the guts of the saw - any suggestions what to use for oil? I was thinking Singer 3 in 1 but, could I use Marvel Mystery oil or use up some ATF or Fork oil?

thoughts anyone?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I would us a 20W oil, any brand and non synthetic. (y)

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I would us a 20W oil, any brand and non synthetic. (y)
Thanks Paul! funny you should post, this is from last February and I literally pulled out the saw today to try and make it go. I actually poured gear oil in because I had some. I think I need a better belt and maybe a stronger motor (It has a sewing maching motor and a rubber 'O ring' type belt) - it turns but reluctantly and it doesn't especially cut.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
The 3 in 1 makes a 20w for furnace pumps.