• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Silver Healey - Chassis Color?

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I thinking about painting my BN1 silver. But a silver chassis and engine compartment doesn't seem right to me. What other chassis paint schemes go with a silver body?

Country flag
Some of the 100M chassis and firewall&forward were painted black. I think ours was but, unfortunately we didn't know this when we painted everything white. You can hardly go wrong with black on just about anything.

Attachments

• 102-0232_IMG.JPG
    102-0232_IMG.JPG
    503.4 KB · Views: 100

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Is this a competition car? If so a darker gray would look good. If it is a restoration of a driver almost anything other than the body color will create the impression that your body had a respray over the “original” (engine bay) color. So people will think you did a cheapie respray job and you’ll spend a lot of time explaining your personal preference to people. Even If you don’t care what people say while you own it, I think it would become an obstacle when you sell it.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I agree with Dougie's grey suggestion. I used that same color on my soft top frame. It's not so different from the silver.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Your car, your choice but I like black for the frame and inner wings and gray in the engine bay.

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The first 700 or so BN1s had black painted chassis from the factory. That having been said since silver was not a factory colour I do not think a contrasting chassis would hurt value. Matte black was also supplied from the factory for the engine compartment on some BN1s. But silver would be close to Healey blue and IMHO would not look out of place. Mark Baker’s custom Healey 100R was painted silver….

OP
BoyRacer

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have to say that the silver engine compartment of that 100R really looks nice. For some reason I was thinking a silver engine compartment would look gaudy. I'm going to rethink this. Thank all of you for your input. This is a big decision for me.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
It is all a matter of personal taste and opinion. I like the silver on the frame/tub. I saw Mark’s 100R in person several times and the engine bay looked great in body color.

OP
BoyRacer

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I found this photo of a silver 100. This is what I have decided I want. And with that bright red interior.

Attachments

• 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
"Mark Baker’s custom Healey 100R was painted silver…"
----------------------------------------------------------------
Now that was a beautiful car!
Wonder where it is today?

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
I found this photo of a silver 100. This is what I have decided I want. And with that bright red interior.
Richard
I love the red with silver. You just can't go wrong with that color combination. However, I will offer one more consideration. Mark Baker's 100R has already been mentioned because of its silver paint. No one has mentioned its interior. It had grey carpet and persimmon leather/vinyl and was stunning. When I spoke with him about his car in 2003 he told me that the silver was a Mercedes-Benz color and that it had the slightest bit of brown in the formula. I have never seen another car with this color combination.

FDA51986-97DF-460D-81CF-0F9B6F1A33FC.JPG

C414D444-BF76-4CAE-A3CF-FF6394661AC9.JPG

320455F1-0761-4FD9-BBAF-70D6CF8DA086.JPG

B9EDCD93-BB5C-4D42-AE5F-DEB17D5D3EDB.JPG

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
There's much to like about the 100R--my favorite is the way the bodywork of the (non-removable) hardtop blends so nicely and that Mark chose to use a hardtop design that emulates that of the later six-cylinder factory tops rather than either the semi-fastback used on DMH's personal car or the early aftermarket 4-cylinder tops which to my eyes simply do not blend with Healey lines.

I chose the NICAL top for my 100 because its lines are very similar to the factory tops and though they are a few inches shorter they grace the car and also have a large rear window that wraps around.

Attachments

• 20190307_112204.jpg
    20190307_112204.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I am in complete agreement with Michael that the Pete Farmer/Nical hardtop as fitted to Mark Baker’s 100R really suits the 100. I bought the last two produced by Pete Farmer with the open type air vent for that ‘works competition’ look. The one fitted to the 100R looks seriously ‘right’ In silver….

AF451AAA-53AA-425E-AEC7-C489F196D132.jpeg

B70662E5-2278-4D97-96EF-23F26A3F0776.jpeg

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hi Guido--

Your top looks great and well-fit. I like the way that you painted out the heavier portions around the rear window and side curtain apertures to make them appear to be AL. I have debated doing that and now that I see your car I think I will do that when I have my top repainted to deal with some crazing in the gel coat.

Unless I am mistaken the hardtop on Mark's car was not removable--perhaps some other reader can verify this (or not).
Healey w:hardtop.jpeg