• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Signal Red paint code

Scott McK

Freshman Member
Hello all and Happy New Year. Does anyone have the PPG or Ditzler Code for the Signale Red paint color? Just about ready to to order paint for the 61' TR4.

Thanks

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Scott,

From Bob Schaller's More BS on TRs, he lists the Ditzler code as 70966 for signal red 62-65 & prior.

you can get the manual from Randall's (TR3Driver) download site.

OP
S

Scott McK

Freshman Member
Thanks for the info. What do you guys think of the idea of spraying the bottom of the bodytub and the inner fenders with a sray on type truckbed liner product. My goal is not originality, just rust prevention for the long haul. Any thoughts here? Any downside to the product and results?

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Scott....even if you are not going the original route...I would
give your idea a second thought. Going thru any sort of a restoration
involves considerable cash investment. I can't believe you will
be doing justice to your investment spraying a bed liner anywhere
on the car. Going to bare metal...a good primer followed be a good
paint job should give you all the metal protection you will need.
But again...it is your car...and your $$. Good luck. Gil

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When I called my friend who paints cars for money, he mentioned a product called rock chip guard.....it is a flex additive that is supposed to keep the paint softer(so to speak) so it fills in if you get a chip.

I haven't put it to the test yet, but I am going to heed his advise when I paint my car.......

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Tr3aguy said:
When I called my friend who paints cars for money, he mentioned a product called rock chip guard.....it is a flex additive that is supposed to keep the paint softer(so to speak) so it fills in if you get a chip.

I haven't put it to the test yet, but I am going to heed his advise when I paint my car.......
I suspect that's sound advice! From my experience over the years, any type of "undercoat" can be as much a bad thing as a good thing. Time was, lots of cars got an "undercoat" of some sort of bitumenous material (kinda like roofing tar). That was fine...for awhile. However, it eventually dried out and would start to lose adhesion. Unfortunately, it often didn't completely peel off, and all sorts of mud, grime and moisture could then get trapped under what was left, and that would eventually wreak havoc. I've also seen far too many carelessly "rustproofed" cars (Rusty Jones, Ziebart, even Volvo factory undercoat) that did much the same thing and/or was carelessly enough applied that drain holes got blocked; eventually, the same problems occurred with rust starting underneath the undercoat, etc. I've seen comparable cars where a "non-rustproofed" car actually held up much better than one that was "rustproofed"!

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Scott McK said:
Thanks for the info. What do you guys think of the idea of spraying the bottom of the bodytub and the inner fenders with a sray on type truckbed liner product. My goal is not originality, just rust prevention for the long haul. Any thoughts here? Any downside to the product and results?
Clean the surface and brush or roll Sem on to it. This is made to go dirrect to metal with a rust inhibitor built in. cost effective and easy to use, and it comes in the many colors on this chip chart I'm holding up...see.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Scott McK said:

I wouldn't use a truck bed liner product for rust prevention. If you ever have to get it off you will regret using it!

You might consider a product like waxoyl

https://www.minimania.com/InvDetail.cfm?item=WAXOYL%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&googlebase

OP
S

Scott McK

Freshman Member
Thanks all for the input. Based on the above I will most likely prime and paint the bodytub signal red and go from there. I will try to post some pics but not sure how.