Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
If you can't find GL-4 oil locally, try to Google GL-4 and find who has it. It's scarce because GL-5 is claimed by the oil companies to supercede GL-4. But GL-5 has additives that can damage a gearbox which has bronze or brass parts in it - like all TR gear-boxes have. That's why you should look for GL-4.
Or put in 20W50 which has none of these bad additives. I have driven my 1958 TR3A with gearbox/overdrive for 98,000 miles and find a bit of yellow fines when I change the oil every 3000 to 5000 miles. I have been using Valvoline 20W50 Racing Grade since 1990. I rebuilt it completely in 2004 after I broke a bronze top-hat bushing in it by roll starting the car in gear. Don't do that - especially when rolling backwards in reverse.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.