• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Short Springs TR4A-6

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I would like to lower my car about an inch all the way around, but I have tried to stiffer springs (stock length) and I would prefer to go with stock tension. Have not seen any such for sale, does anyone sell, or can a competent suspension shop trim mine down?

I know some of you have cars with saggy rear ends, maybe I could buy your old saggy springs to get my car back down to a more racy looking and handling height. I don't have any squat or dive problems, the thing seems quite stiffly enough sprung on the stock springs.

swift6

Yoda
Lowered springs will need to be higher rate or you'll be bottoming your suspension on a regular basis

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
OTOH, just cutting coils out of the original springs will make them stiffer.

I'd try talking to either Ted at TSi or Richard at Goodparts. They might be able to get some made to your specifications.

Note that lowering the rear with shorter springs will also upset the camber. If you are only looking for an inch, you might want to investigate modified mounting brackets.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have got all three types of the rear brackets, you can mix and match, upside down etc. to modify camber, which I have already monkeyed with somewhat, at some point would love to get the adjustable ones at some point in the future. Thanks Greg

swift6

Yoda
Moss has a list of the different combinations of rear brakets, one, two and three notch, in both up and down positions and how much they can affect camber. Used to be in their catalogs, not sure if it is on the website or not.

D

DougF

I installed goodparts springs and adjustable t/a brackets on my TR6. It eliminated messing around with stock bracket configurations. They added a little ride height, but worked out very well.

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
One thing that i think MOST people will actually find is that if you've been using stock springs for a long time, or any spring that's been on there for 30 years or so... that the 'lowered' springs from TSI or GoodParts will actually just keep your ride height the same. I researched this a lot before deciding to go with 1" lowered GP springs all around on my restoration. Older springs fatigue and sag with time, and it can be a shock when you put in new springs and the ride height is TOTALLY different

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
justin_mercier said:
One thing that i think MOST people will actually find is that if you've been using stock springs for a long time, or any spring that's been on there for 30 years or so... that the 'lowered' springs from TSI or GoodParts will actually just keep your ride height the same. I researched this a lot before deciding to go with 1" lowered GP springs all around on my restoration. Older springs fatigue and sag with time, and it can be a shock when you put in new springs and the ride height is TOTALLY different

Ah yes, the 4x4 syndrome. Aren't we about due for a thread on this? Man that stinks when you find out about this the hard way.