• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shop Size

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I am beginning the process of building a new shop. Although just a hobbyist, I have collected a bunch of stuff over the years, e.g. brake, anvils, 3 welders, blast cabinet, 7 roller tool cabs, well, you get the idea.
My original plan called for a 24 X 36 building. However, I now find that (for various reasons including site prep) I can do a 24 X 24 for about 1/2 the price. Since I get no income from my work, the savings with the smaller shop are attractive. I will be keeping most of my current workspace in the basement. In addition to new workspace, I'd like to store two LB cars in the shop over the winter when I am away. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance,
Tom

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Tom -

Prevailing wisdom will say that you can't build one big enough! But budget also has a say.

My new garage/shop is 28x36 and already I wish I'd made it wider. But then, it houses our SUV as well. Overall, I'm happy with it.

garage-1.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
How about a 24x24 now, then later you can spend the extra money on another 24x24 next to it :D

PS, you can paint me green with envy. I have no room to expand at all, land around here is hideously expensive, and the wife doesn't want to move away from LA.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I built a 28 by 34 and now is not big enough. Wish I had 2nd story for office and storage. Have basement full too. Make it as big as you can afford as not to regret it later.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Work expands to fill the time allotted. Stuff expands to fill the space allotted. Save the money, build the smaller shop, use it for a car. and purge! (and do as I say not as I do)

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you are like most of us, you will fill all of the space you have, no matter how big it is. Have you ever heard anyone say "I wish my shop was smaller?" I don't think so. Maybe add a covered roof section for outdoor storage? and if money allows, finish it off later?

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
How about a 24x24 now, then later you can spend the extra money on another 24x24 next to it :D

PS, you can paint me green with envy. I have no room to expand at all, land around here is hideously expensive, and the wife doesn't want to move away from LA.

That might be the solution, Randall. I do have room for two if I cut a few more trees. I'm also thinking that I might get a break on the extra site work if I get that done up front. The 24 X 24 shop with a bit of a loft will double my existing space, a wonderful thing. If I find that it is just not adequate, the second shop/ garage will be the fall back.
And as for domestic tranquility, the wife's car has to go inside for our winter sojourn, a fact that certainly won't hurt in getting the second one built. Thanks for the other replies. Mickey, from the photo it looks like you've really got your shop together. I'm a bit green with envy with it.

Tom

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Tom, This is like asking a group of alcoholics if a fifth is going to be enough. Seriously though, I think 24' deep is not deep enough when it comes time to park the cars and find the room to work. 28'...much better.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
One reminder from the "once burned twice shy" department: be sure you meet local, county, and state building codes *before* the construction starts. Including distance to property lines, utilities, wells, and septic fields.

Ask me how I know.

:blue:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
This is my shop, well half of it, the tractors are in it for winter storage,two others are outside braving the weather. As it's not insulated it's not permanently heated, I do very little work in it in the Winter. Two large propane torpedo heaters do all they can to get the temp up to a reasonable level. PJ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Lovely shop! can you partition it a bit?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It may be a cliche but I never heard anyone say "I wish I had built my shop smaller."

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
24 x 24 should be long enough to store two LBCs nose-to-tail. My suggestion is to make the "parking" area of the garage as dense as possible, so the work area is wide open. Think a bit about the size of cars you have, and how you will park them; how often you will use them. Is it OK to take time to carefully park them just perfectly in one corner, or do you wan to be able to pull in and out in a heartbeat to go to work, run to the grocery store, etc.?

Also consider the door; it should provide as much access as possible.

Can you augment the space with an adjacent shed to store some of the lesser used tools? I bought two plastic garbage can sheds from Sears; roughly 5' long, 4' deep and 4' tall. They sit outside and hold my lawnmower, garden tools, BBQ supplies, etc. Dry but not climate controlled. https://www.sears.com/craftsman-70....sellerId=SEARS&prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Lovely shop! can you partition it a bit?

I plan on doing that JP, but haven't had the time with this TF holding me back. It's almost done, if Moss ever gets me my side curtain kit!! 3 months now on back order! Not going to be much longer and I'm going to tell them where they can put it! :encouragement: PJ

Country flag
Build as big as you can afford. I have four buildings full of stuff right and could use another. In fact I looked at a 40x60 building about a mile from me, it was under contract when I looked at it or I would have bought it.

Marv

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have a 30 x 60 and have to admit it is plenty big for the cars and worktools. Lucky me, I also have a 40x 50 barn which I poured concrete for the floor and now have a woodshop and storage out there also. I enjoy my workspaces and have used them a lot. But, I need a new project, my cars are finished and I had to resort to golf to stay busy.
PS: I divided mine up into metal shop area, lift area and tools , car parking and storage, and the barn is woodshop and just storage.

Jerry

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Update: Really good to get all the advice, and pictures too. Thanks.
The dilemma came as a result of getting a "package" quote from a builder that included prep and slab for 24 x 36 and then finding that the town wanted a 4 foot frost wall. Getting that done independently along with additional site work was almost as much as the package.
However, it now looks like I might have another package worked out that includes the frost wall and all and seems seems quit fair. It is 24 x 36 with storage loft.
Wife nixed Randall"s suggestion to build 2 smaller shops, although I do plan to have smaller shed beside it, small enough to require no permits. It might house the air compressor and whatever else.
I would like to stretch the width to 26 but can't stretch the budget.
Cheers,
Tom

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Your shop will always be to small it a caveman thing
uggg MUST FILL SHOP CAN FIT MORE STUFF

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I have a loft in mine for storage. Lots of room up there and very handy to have, but only access is a set of drop-down stairs in the ceiling. I HATE those things! I never have been much of a climber, and you can't carry anything of any size up and down. But putting in a real staircase would've taken up floorspace, not to mention the extra expense.

With the right planning, I think your 24x36 can be plenty ample.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I have a loft in mine for storage. Lots of room up there and very handy to have, but only access is a set of drop-down stairs in the ceiling. I HATE those things! I never have been much of a climber, and you can't carry anything of any size up and down. But putting in a real staircase would've taken up floorspace, not to mention the extra expense.

With the right planning, I think your 24x36 can be plenty ample.
Thanks for that reassurance.
My dad's barn/garage, where my TR3 and Mini Cooper shared on stall for may years, had a stairway of sorts, no codes, on one end. Hardly took any space at all with lots of storage underneath. It also had a 4x 4 foot "hatch" in the loft floor, with a falls attached above to the ridge. I could have taken a TR3 tub up there with it. I might add something like that, after the BI leaves.
Tom