Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Because you'll never get the car to actually settle properly in that position. As I said, any time that a ride height is in question, the car should be driven, 1/2 tank of fuel, stopped on level pavement and pushed up and down 2-3 times on each corner to settle the suspension. We had many incidents of mismatched springs on GM Cutlass and Chevelle models in the mid to late 70's and this was the procedure to be followed before taking any measurements.
You can go from the ground up, but only after checking all tire pressures to insure that they are even. That's why most readings are taken from the center of the axle to the center of the wheel arch or some other predetermined point.
I know F.U.B.A.R.!
and yes I'm am in the Civil engineering field
Thank You for the advise on this subject, As soon as the weather gets a little better I'll pop the wheels back on and take my measurements.
At that time I'll determine if I want to replace the springs.
In the Bently Manual they must have made an AWAG! (Accurate WAG) Seeing they determined the vehicle height at the cowl under the windscreen frame at 40.00 inches. No mention of tire size, pressure or anything, but down to a 2-place decimal.
I never realized these cars were made to such exacting standards! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.