• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shock Absorber test

Richter12x2

Jedi Hopeful
Just purchased new shocks for the GT6 from Victoria British, and these are the old fluid shocks, not gas charged.

With gas charged struts, you can bench test by pressing them in slowly and they'll slowly return. These don't return automatically, which is probably fine, but I was wondering if there were any tricks to bench testing these fluid filled shocks just to make sure they're all fine before we put them on the car?

D

Deleted member 8987

Same way we've been doing it for 50-60 years.
Hook one end in a vise or if an eyelet end, stick a punch throught it and step in the punch, pull up and push down.
Should be hard both pulling up and pushing down.
New shocks often won't be right until you cycle them once or twice.
Laying flat in boxes, air getting into the system.
Pumps right out.

Once you see how new shocks feel, you can check them later under the car by unhooking the bottom end and pushing, pulling.
If it feels the same as new, it's okay.

Dave

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just supply the return force yourself. IOW when you pull the rod out, it should move slowly and smoothly. Then push it back in, same thing.

Note that they should be held upright while doing this, and it may take a few strokes to work any air out of the valves.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Randall - do folks still use the "jump on the bumper" test for mounted (standard oil filled) shocks?

Push the bumper down a couple times, let go, and see if it keeps bouncing, or stops. Keeps bouncing = bad shocks. Stops bouncing immediately = shocks are ok.

Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
NutmegCT said:
Randall - do folks still use the "jump on the bumper" test for mounted (standard oil filled) shocks?
I do, except the TR bumpers aren't that strong!
grin.gif

With the UHMW between the leaves, it was easy to tell that I had a bad rear shock on the TR3. Even though I couldn't push the car down very far, the bad corner bounced, while all the others just rose back to the original position and stopped.

OP
R

Richter12x2

Jedi Hopeful
Excellent thanks! I suspected they were all fine, but the lack of automatic return like on gas charge struts/shocks concerned my wife, so I figured we'd ask here to be sure. :smile:

Telly

Country flag
I did the bumper test on my TR6 which seemed O.K. until I replaced both front shocks and one was totally shot!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Bumper test does not work to well on our relatively low mass and short suspension travel cars, I had an Austin Healey for which both rear shocks were gone, one had frozen and stripped the arm the other no resistance, you couldn't tell a thing by bouncing the bumper, particulary on leaf sprung cars I think the leaves have enough friction that it isn't a good test.