• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Seven months of hibernation over.....

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I had a crappy day at work and after a 300 mile day in my Taurus, I just wanted to drive my TR6. I last drove it on Nov 6, 2008 and I dumped a bottle of Marvel Mystery Gas Treatment in the tank prior to the last 10 mile run. I then hooked the CTek charger up and put the cover on it. I would check every few weeks to make sure the lights were still on the charger and go back in the house.

So tonight I came home and changed into a pair of shorts and polo shirt and headed for the garage. I pulled the coil wire and cranked if for about 10 seconds twice. Put the coil wire back in, pulled the choke and cranked it again. It started right up and smoothed out after about two minutes of running rough. I could smell the Marvel and it was smoky for a few minutes, but that all cleared and it ran GREAT. I only drove it about 10 miles tonight, but no leaks under the car and all was well when I parked it.

I still have another two weeks of work on the house and another week to move before I let myself officially get back into the car projects, but it's nice to know that a 10 mile ride in a TR6 will still put me in a good mood.

Let's hope the Eco nuts don't ever try to take away our fun.

CuriousGeorge

Paul; congratulations! I know how good it must feel after your setback. I feel like I took valium everytime after driving mine. Very relaxing, very fun. Great little cars. What's with the MM gas treatment? I know about MM oil...is that what you mean?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bummer, even living thru you doesn't raise my spitits

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I posted about this some time ago,& was told
that "there's lots of leg room".I'd still like to
know how to move the seat back a few inches.I like
to drive with me legs out.I'm about 5'10".

- Doug

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Brosky said:
I had a crappy day at work and after a 300 mile day in my Taurus, I just wanted to drive my TR6.

it's nice to know that a 10 mile ride in a TR6 will still put me in a good mood.

I hear you there. Best thing about these cars is their ability to carry us away from the mishigas that surrounds us these days. I try to drive mine up to work at Sturbridge every weekend. Twisty two lane roads through our southern New England hills and woods. Nothing better.

Tom

PeterK

Yoda
Go fill 'er up with high test and have a nice drive. I finally got the 3A out of mothballs too. It was great therapy for the both of us!

-Pete

Dennis

Jedi Hopeful
AngliaGT said:

- Doug

Legs out, wonder what that's like.... :crazy:
I'm 6'3" and still love slipping into the GT6 and yes, brings a smile to my face to drive it into work. Well, on days it's not expected to rain that is...
Dennis

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
George,

Marvel also make a great fuel treatment that I use with every other tank full (refilling at about 1/4 every time) and especially when I let it sit over the winter.

Doug,

I have mine back all the way and have leg room at 6'1", I just wish it was as wide as an MGB!

Country flag
Dennis said:
AngliaGT said:

- Doug

Legs out, wonder what that's like.... :crazy:
I'm 6'3" and still love slipping into the GT6 and yes, brings a smile to my face to drive it into work. Well, on days it's not expected to rain that is...
Dennis

My brother's got you all beat.....he's 6'11 1/2 and managed a way to sit COMFORTABLY in his TR3! :smile:

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Brosky said:
Let's hope the Eco nuts don't ever try to take away our fun.

PFFT! Tell them about how I get over 40mpg and its FUN to drive... maybe that will make them let go of their tree.

tomshobby

Yoda
It did seem the longest winter in my memory. A good friend in New Berlin (a couple blocks from Steve) sold his house and is now looking for a place in Phoenix. That seems a little warm in the summer, but I would not mind somewhere in the KY/TN MO/AR area.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Glad you've got it out. I've got about 100 miles on my MGB so far this year....more to come this weekend.

It's interesting that Marvel Mystery Oil still has such a dedicated following.
I know all the guys at our airport will practically start a fistfight if anyone questions it's value.

Check the MSDS. It about 70% light oil (like kerosene) with about 20% mineral spirits, a little dye, wintergreen for smell, and small amount of phosphorous.

I think it can be a useful upper cylinder lube on older cars......just like kerosene. :devilgrin:

I do *like* the way it smells, and the can is neat. :laugh:

And don't worry Paul; us "Eco-nuts" aren't out to spoil your fun. :driving:
Unless you're running that TR on soft coal and dumping the ash into my drinking water.
Actuallly, I think recycling an old, fuel-efficent car can be a great use of natural resources.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Warm in the summer, what an understatement.I think it got to 106 today were I live. Houses are dirt cheap right now though.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
AFT.....geeze Paul....no golf, no car driving, except a Taurus...we really need to chip and get you a life. With all this new house work, at the very least, there better be a garage stall with a lift for the 6. I just did my 600 mile spring check up of all the things I did over the winter. But I'm confident you will pass me in miles driven in one long weekend. I know you won't be at Bris by the Sea but are you going to the Brookline show? :driving:

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]us "Eco-nuts" aren't out to spoil your fun[/QUOTE]

Aero, I don't mean the real conservationists that actually practice saving the earth, but the ones in Washington who tell us "little people" what we should be driving and when and how and then get in their huge chauffeur driven SUV's that have been idling for hours to keep them warm or cool while they wait for them. Then they get driven to their private jets in the same gas hogs.

Bobby, I will not be at Brookline for the show there either. My next one will probably be in July or August.

No lift, but a nice clean, brightly lit white garage to store the little guy in.

DaveatMoon

Jedi Hopeful
aeronca65t said:
And don't worry Paul; us "Eco-nuts" aren't out to spoil your fun. :driving:
Unless you're running that TR on soft coal and dumping the ash into my drinking water.
Actuallly, I think recycling an old, fuel-efficent car can be a great use of natural resources.
Absolutely. :iagree:

I used to be a RCRA (hazardous waste) inspector for the PA Dept. of Environmental Resources. The single largest concentration of old car fans I ever came accross in non-car related organizations were my co-workers in the DER. A few hot rodders and a restorer or two (my ex-boss has a '72 MGB), but mostly people who have an old car and keep it nice as best they can on the limited funds that that life entails, or just enjoy going to shows to see the cars. The preservationist instinct is the foundation of both fields of interest. :smile:

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Paul - glad to hear you got some fun miles in rather than having to drive for work.

So, let me see if I got this right. All I need to do to get the cars running well is some MMO and a long sleep? Cool! I can do that.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tom,

When I used to work on the boats for the guys who kept them on the fresh water lakes in PA, I used to get everything drained for the winter (after it was pulled from the water) add some MMO fuel additive and the last step was flooding the engine with MMO until it stalled. Turn off the key and let it sit all winter. In the spring we'd pull the coil wire and crank it to get oil pressure, then start it right up. A little smokey for a few minutes, but I never had a problem with anything internally or with getting them started.

Best way to store an engine for long periods of time, IMHO.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Tom, I live in East Central Tennessee. Mild winters, nice summers, four decernable seasons, great secondary roads for our LBC's, low cost of living and the taxes are a pittance compared to what you pay. Lots of Michiganners down here. So come onnnn down. We have several LBC clubs around here also, so there is plenty of activity.

Tinkerman