• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Series II E-Type tire size

DonJ

Freshman Member
It's time to start shopping for tires. Originals were 185R15 (26.5" diameter / 7.28" wide). Right now I just cannot justify the $380/tire price I am seeing for that size. What is the most appropriate modern size to use? It looks to me like 195/70R15 ( 25.8 / 7.68) or 205/70R15 (26.3 / 8.07) are the most likely. The 205 is the closer diameter but I have read going to a wider tire can affect steering and handling. Would adding 3/4" width really have any effect?

Thanks
dj

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Not sure what you're looking at that is $380 per - but many (including me) think it is hard to beat the Vredestein Sprint Classics in 185/15. Available from many sources though I think it is a Coker tire wherever you get them from:

Summit for $173 @ -- https://www.summitracing.com/search...dMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=vredestein

I bought from Euro-Tire -- https://www.eurotire.com/ -- they will email you the current price.

Some fit wider tires but investigate carefully as there can be clearance issues in the rear - think about how far out you have to pull a rear tire to clear the splined hub.

Last edited:
OP
D

DonJ

Freshman Member
Thanks for the response. While looking around on the net for tires I found 185HR15 Dunlops for $370 and 185VR15 Pirellis (which I had years ago) for $389. Not familiar with Vredestein but will certainly follow up on your suggestion. As far as rear clearance I don't think the extra 3/4" is an issue because this car came with steel wheels, not wires, but I will check. Thanks again.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Okay - steel/disc wheels to give you more options. Some with wider tires also reverse the rubber buffer above the rear axle (so it leans in) to get a bit more clearance there.

I personally like the looks and handling of the original 'skinny' tires:

Skinny_zps1aeb6073.jpg

Country flag
One thing I'll note. At one point I had 205s on my series 1. Mostly wasn't a problem but I found that if I hit a bump or otherwise cause the suspension to flex while turning the front tires could grab at the back of the wheel well and bend the sheet metal. This was in the back of the well on the side I was turning towards. So in some circumstances wider in the front was an issue, never a problem in the back.

OP
D

DonJ

Freshman Member
Well, I have been to Coker, Summitracing, Universal, Lucas Classic etc and there does not appear to be any Vredestein 185R15 in the US. I have gotten delivery estimates of "We don't know" to "it will be several months" to "due to production issues these will not be available until mid-2017". So it looks like I will just try to find some 185/70R15.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Dang - that is a shame. If you have not done so, you may want to look at one of the online 'tire calculators' to see how much lower your E-Type will be before going with the 185/70.

OP
D

DonJ

Freshman Member
Funny, I was just going to ask what anyone knew about the Universal brand. I did locate some in a 185HR15, but not familiar with the brand.
Geo Hahn, thanks for all your input.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Not sure what you're looking at that is $380 per - but many (including me) think it is hard to beat the Vredestein Sprint Classics in 185/15. Available from many sources though I think it is a Coker tire wherever you get them from:

Summit for $173 @ -- https://www.summitracing.com/search...dMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=vredestein

I bought from Euro-Tire -- https://www.eurotire.com/ -- they will email you the current price.

Some fit wider tires but investigate carefully as there can be clearance issues in the rear - think about how far out you have to pull a rear tire to clear the splined hub.

The Vredestein's are what I have put on my E-Type (with new SS Dayton wires). They look just right!

IMG_0178.jpg