• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

series 2 e-type bonnet

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
I have noticed two different mouths on various series 2's. One where it is very oval and the other where the corners are more square. I have looked at many pics and can't seem to find a correlation. I am finishing off my bonnet that I bought used and do not want to do this twice.

Thank you for your input:

Pete

Country flag
Pete,

Best I know, 1968 was the last year of the oval mouth and running lights above the bumpers. In 69 the mouth was opened up, parking lights enlarged and put underneath the bumpers. There has always been discussion about the 68 car whether it is Series 1.5 or series 2. You can swap bonnets on the SI and SII cars, they mount the same. Dont'e think you can put the(72on) SIII bonnets on earlier cars without some mod.s, SIII looked like the SII but had flared fender wells, the mouth was changed some as well. Underneath bonnet is different. Hope his helps

Marv

OP
HEALEYJAG

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Thanks Marv..but what I was looking for is the difference in the mouths of SERIES 2 bonnets. Some are more oval and others have more squared corners...

\Pete

sbs

Freshman Member
HEALEYJAG said:
Thanks Marv..but what I was looking for is the difference in the mouths of SERIES 2 bonnets. Some are more oval and others have more squared corners...

I've never heard of such a thing.

Can you provide examples?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm curious as well. Could the "more squared" ones observed have suffered impact and been "reshaped" by unknowing body repair?

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Marvin provided you with the correct answer. If you search the panel suppliers, there is only one bonnet centre section and lower panel offered for a series 2.
I have restored several and have built up complete bonnets from different donors and have never had a problem. Do you have the pictures in hand to show what you are talking about?
Cheers,
David.

OP
HEALEYJAG

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
If you go to XKEdata.com and scroll through the series two cars you will see distinctively different bonnett openings on the series 2 cars. I have owned all the series over the years, and only recently when replacing mine on a seres 2 have I noticed the difference.

If I were more computor savvy I would download the two openings.

I do not think it is due to body work doc ...mine is "more squared corners and has no bodywork..

Feel the early 69 are different than later 70??

Pete

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I honestly never noticed... and embarrassed as a result. All the Jags I've worked on over th' years. :shocked:

S-III's are the exception, obviously.

...and I think they're butt-ugly by comparison, too. :wink:

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Do not know what to say. I have a 1969 in the shop at the monent, and it does not have as you say "square sides". Finished a 1970 a year and a half ago, and the bonnet was the same as the 69. Bloke was the original owner of the vehicle and it had never suffered any damage.

I understand your computer delema, as I have the same disadvantage.

Martin Robey lists only one lower panel for all series 2 vehicles.

Strange one!

Cheers,

David.

Country flag
I'm glad there are others who are scratching the heads as well. I have owned and restored several S1 & S2 cars, never noticed any differences as mentioned. Will be looking!

Marv

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Hi Marvin,
Just curious. The lower panel is quite a complex piece of metal work. The inner ducting fits into the sides of the mouth. On your bonnet, are the inner ducts shaped the same ie. 'square side', or do they have a different radius?
Cheers,
David.

Country flag
David,

I remember the S1 inner ducting as being shaped around the oval ends. Would have to look at the S2 to tell you correctly. The bonnets look scarey to disassemble but actually go back together pretty easy. I used epoxy to hold the brace panels on.

Marv

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Hi Marvin,
I do not enjoy the disassembly process as much as the reassembly. I use a 3M epoxy sealer to fit the inner panels as well. I let them stand for 24+ hours before disturbing them. Sounds like you are doing a top job of it. Would still be curious about the front ducting.
Cheers,
David.

Jagboy69

May I offer a simple solution? Perhaps he saw one fitted with amco bars and is comparing it to cars without? There should only be ONE style of bonnet opening for the series 2 cars. The series 1.5 suffered some effects to the placement of the headlights fore and aft as well as parking light arrangement and bumpers ect.

bj7

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have restored 3 Series 2 E types and currently have a late 1969 model. The cars I have seen or restored have always had the same shape opening. Fron my experience with computer images, they sometimes distort the image with reference to height and width. Maybe if you cant download the images you maybe able to list the car numbers on the database in which you have noticed a difference.