• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Selling my brother's Bugeye

RickB

Yoda
I sold the van today so I have nothing I can use to bring the broken fiberglass front end home.
Ideas?
Is there a way I could bring it with my Midget?
(take the front off my car and put the fiberglass front on and drive it home?)
(that would require me to drive all the way over with no front on my car, something the State Patrol might not approve of)
I guess I could put a battery in the Volvo station wagon....

RickB

Yoda
Rick
You need a Harbor Freight 4' trailer!
Bill

And some kind of hitch that connects to the back of my Midget...

mike clayton

Freshman Member
Hello Fred,
So sorry about your brother.I know just how hard that can be .
Not sure about logistics but I am interested in buying the car .I am in New Hampshire but I did have an MGA shipped[ in pieces ] to me in Maine from Lousiana..please let me know if it is still available
Thanks
Mike

RickB

Yoda
I managed to get the Volvo out of mothballs and back to road worthiness and made it over to meet Bill and see the Bugeye.
It was just amazing looking at all the things that had been done to the car, everyone has a vision and Bill's brother definitely had it.
There are some extremely valuable bits that have been added, like the supercharger with the Marvel Mystery Oil oiler (first one I'd ever seen).
The damage isn't as bad as I had feared, it will need a little body work on the front drivers side inner fender and across the back.
The back deck is good, the crunch starts about a foot from the rear (tail lights)
The car is very solid and extremely clean underneath, I know that's where most of these need a lot of help and this one is solid.
Wish I had the available cash, it would get me a long way towards my eventual Bugeye project.
Here's a picture of the damaged fiberglass front tied to my Volvo:
bug.jpg

Unfortunately the broken light bucket came off and hit the freeway.
I should have just torn it off before leaving that would have given me something to work with.

OP
FredApplerot

FredApplerot

Freshman Member
It was terrific to meet with Rick and Eric, a couple of knowledgeable Sprite enthusiasts, this afternoon. As Rick said, the car is very solid, but will take a great deal of effort to put back into stock condition, if that is what one wants to do. The engine turns freely and still has fresh looking oil. I took several more pictures of the car removed from its hiding place.

DSCF5837.jpgDSCF5838.jpgDSCF5839.jpgDSCF5842.jpgDSCF5843.jpgDSCF5846.jpg

RickB

Yoda
The bonnet is steel and appears to be from a 58.
It's solid as they come, I could see no signs of any damage ever.
With the custom firewall that's on the car a front tilt setup will have to be installed - or redo the firewall if you really want originality.
Front tilt is better anyway.

RickB

Yoda
Looks like the plug is there for the forward tilt bonnet. I never could understand the desire of the forward tilt bonnet on a street car. He must have got the fiberglass bonnet to keep from altering the steel one. It looks like a nice one.

Floor looked nice.

Is there a price on it yet?

Shoot Bill a PM, I think he's got a ballpark number in mind and I think it's reasonable.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rick's comments sums it up... Bill's broth was a visionary as well as having electrical and mechanical talents. Appreciation needs to be given to tackling a redo in the late 70's -80's when there wasn't an internet nor a vast parts supply at one's finger tips. This project needs another visionary in another era. It is a far far better start point than the basket rescues I've observed on this site and others. This BE needs that one, new blood restorer!.. that one person that has the passion we all have that read this blog.....Thanks Bill for showing Rick and I. Like Rick, this car presented at a different point in time would be gone from your garage in a heart beat - like yesterday....Somebody will grab this one VERY soon...

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The only "first things first" issue is the title as for mentioned. WA is one of those difficult states.. You would help your cause Bill by getting that handled before all the estate issues are settled...

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
(I can't get over how awesome that wiring and switchgear is. Neat, neat, neat.)

OP
FredApplerot

FredApplerot

Freshman Member
Apologies for not following-up sooner. I think $4,500 would be an appropriate asking price for John's car. I know it will take a special kind of buyer for the car, but someone who has an affinity for my brother's vision will probably spend a minimum amount of money and effort to get it back on the road.

I'm not certain the title will be much of an issue. The Bugeye could just be sold on a bill of sale as it sits, but I also have the original Cal. title which has been signed off to John and the original bill of sale. I should have all necessary documents re: John's estate in a week or so which would allow me to dispose of his property.

Please feel free to send me a PM. It might take a day or so for a reply but I will get back to you. Thanks.

-Bill Estill

OP
FredApplerot

FredApplerot

Freshman Member
The silence has been deafening, so the price has been reduced to a pretty firm $3,850. I've also posted it locally on Craigslist at the same price.

RickB

Yoda

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Bill,
Sorry for your loss. Saw your posting on Craigslist, so it was all the reason I needed to stop back at BCF. (I sold my TR3 last year, so it has been a while since I've posted here.) I might have to convince my wife that I need to run up from Oly to Greenlake (or Lynwood) to look at the car. Now that I have my new garage, I have plenty of space for another project and the burning is there for another little British car.

Sam

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Looks like a really worthwhile project! And, looking at the gauge of the wire coming through the firewall, a flux capacitor should bolt right in.