Didn't we just have a thread on here about condensers failing early?
Anyway, yes, it is possible for almost any high voltage component to die early. 'Likely' is a different story, yet it's easy enough to swap in "known good" components (saved from the last tuneup) that I usually start there.
Side story: Friend of mine bought a new rotor for his TR4A at the 2000 VTR convention in Portland, OR. Less than 200 miles later, the car would not run at all. The rotor still looked brand new, no flaw visible, and yet another spare rotor got the engine started. That one would probably have failed quickly as well, but I insisted we also look for a bad plug wire. Turned out that the internal resistor in one of his plug boots was broken as well. The extra stress on the rotor (from the spark trying to jump the resistor) was what caused it to fail. I cut the wire and wrapped the end of it around the plug terminal (no boot) and he made it back to LA with no further problems.
Lots of sources warn against using sandpaper to clean the points, as it may leave scratches on the surface that promote more rapid burning in the future. I use a burnishing tool (designed for cleaning relay contacts), but in a pinch a bit of cardboard (like a matchbook cover) dampened with gasoline will do.