• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Searching for Datsun 210 Front Bellhousing from a Trashed 210

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Anyone got a dead / broken 210 Tranny. I'm looking to replace the bellhousing on Bugsy's 5 speed before it gets installed in View attachment 51026Bugsy IV. Yes I can close this cut in the case with aluminum flashing and creative use of JB Weld. Gerard says no issues re. strength but aesthetically it isn't pleasing to look at. So if you've got a broken 210 Tranny, all I am looking for is the Bell Housing. Anyone got a boat anchor they want to get rid of. And no it is not worth multiple hundreds of $ to me. I just want the bellhousing.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jim,

Though you may have forgotten, when you bought your 5-speed kit from me a few years ago, I included a scrap piece of an aluminum Datsun bell housing for you to weld up that gaping hole. I never said it was not an issue. What I said was of no consequence was ear at the tail housing that had been partially removed. I said it is of no consequence because that's not where the rear mount attaches. Still, a replacement front section would be a good way to go.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I do have the cutout piece the I will fashion as a plug / bridge across the end of the case. And then I can dress up with flashing material.a little creativity will be needed. Along with a local fabrication shop.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
That's what I'd do. Just weld some aluminum over the space. It will never been seen. :eek:

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I found a 310 4 Speed in PA that I can get the bellhousing off of . It uses same bellhousing as the 5 speed. Plus some extra spare gears for parts. I won't be able to get it tig welded plus parts sized to fit for $100 more than likely which is the cost of the 310 Tranny. Plus another lister indeed has a broken 210 tranny that is unfixable. The Spridget Team is unstoppable when they are provided a challenge. Thanks Team.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Got a Winner. Found a 210 4 Speed Bell Housing from Will at Rivergate. Will need to split case to swap out I learned but just put together with sealant of some sort. Will indicated his prototype Spridget has this exact same case mod as that was the way things were done in the old days. No it should not be a structural issue but swapping it out will make me feel better about this tranny. Will cautioned about RTFM on disassembly instructions and reassembly. Yeah Problem solved Thanks Team.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Got a Winner. Found a 210 4 Speed Bell Housing from Will at Rivergate. Will need to split case to swap out I learned but just put together with sealant of some sort. Will indicated his prototype Spridget has this exact same case mod as that was the way things were done in the old days. No it should not be a structural issue but swapping it out will make me feel better about this tranny. Will cautioned about RTFM on disassembly instructions and reassembly. Yeah Problem solved Thanks Team.
Lucky you! Will is great to work with and a very good problem solver...he’s been doing this forever and takes care of the Spridget nation! Let us know how the case swap goes.
Rut

nomad

Yoda
Jim, I'm the guy with the bad 210 trans. The conversation has now got me wondering if a donor 4 sp might be mated to my bad 5 sp to cure its ill's. Guess maybe a call to Will might be in order.

Kurt.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Worth a try.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
View attachment 51122Bugsy got a present today from Will at Rivergate 5 Speed. Front Bellhousing from a 210 4 Speed. No extra holes. Will modify Case to fit under the tranny shelf before I join it to the 5 speed. a nice weekend Project. But Bugsy will manage to get out tomorrow, 62 and sunny is promised. Could be the last time before Spring. Yeah. Thanks Will.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Wow... sure looks the same! Doing the cut-out will probably be easier in this state.