• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Safety advice / tips sought

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

You just full of bad news Cutlass,--Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Actually, when I was in driver safety school (don't ask) in California, they said that statistically on a four lane free way, it is the next lane over from the right hand lane that is the safest.

The far left lanes are very dangerous, primarily from the risk of oncoming traffic jumping the barriers and hitting you head on. The far right lane is somewhat dangerous mostly because of all the merging and lane shifting. The second from the right is the safest because there's less lane shifing and merging, and people typically are driving the limit in this lane.

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
You're right, Keoke. I do sound too morose. Another topic would be more pleasant to discuss. But this is important. I've said enough about safety. All the points made here are valid. Let's take them and move on.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
All of which leads me to wonder why quite a few people here ask how to put a zillion watt stereo system in their cars. Is it so they can not hear the crunch when they hit something or get hit? Or maybe they turn them off when driving in more dangerous conditons. I certainly hope so.

Bruce

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
All these things are important. Third brake lights are a good way to statistically improve your chance of missing a rear end accident. Everybody mentions a heightened awareness, we are out in our lbcs enjoying a drive and anything can and will happen, we need to take extra care. That means if we are impared in any way, not to drive. Lastly, I don't enjoy driving my bugeye on the major highways. The second lane in on a four lane is not where I want to be. A really busy road makes me really nervous. Give me a country two lane in the springtime.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Cutlass said:
You're right, Keoke. I do sound too morose. Another topic would be more pleasant to discuss. But this is important. I've said enough about safety. All the points made here are valid. Let's take them and move on.

AW you be OK Cutlass, /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yesnod.gif But here is one not mentioned; Do not be in a hurry to get where ever it is you are going. If it entails a fairly long drive do not wait until the last moment to leave. Leave a bit early even a day ahead can be very profitable in terms of safety.--Keoke

terp83

There is lots of great advice here--all of which I intend to continue to follow. Simply stated, we need to: "See and Be seen." One way to see well is to make sure that the car is in great mechanical shape, so that the driver's attention will not be diverted from the road and surroundings due to excessive gauge watching. (A lesson learned by me in the late '80's, as I was looking down when I should have been looking up). Although I've never been a pilot, I have flown with friends, and watched each of them do a preflight inspection of the plane before we took off. Each of them has told me that they never take off with a even a single problem, because if they do that, and something else happens while airborne, as he would be up there with two problems. I try to make sure there are no problems before I leave the driveway.

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
I am a private pilot, and own the aircraft I fly. The training, licensing, vehicle maintenance, medical qualifications and emphasis on safety differences between driving and flying are enormous. The biggest difference is the overall emphasis on safety. Terp's observations are correct, and he's fortunate to fly with pilots who take things seriously. In eighteen years of flying, I've seen fewer acts of unsafe flying than I see acts of unsafe driving every day on my commute to work.

Richard3000

In my Healey I've noticed people are more likely to pull out in front of me. Like a motorbike, it has a smaller frontal area. (This must be really be the case in the land of SUV's? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif )

We just have to accept that these cars are not as safe as modern ones. The thought of not having a nice soft air-bag doesn't worry me but the thought of that steel steering column moving back through the car tends to concentrate my mind. Makes me drive defensively anyway..

Andy65

Jedi Hopeful
Check the rubber brake lines on right rear wheel. Mine rubbed against the frame and nearly wore a hole through it. I use double hose clamps on the fuel line - from boating experience. Keep an eye on the brake fluid level. If the servo goes, it can suck the brake fluid out and no brakes. Add fuses to tail lights and under dash as others have mentioned.

V

vagt6

Great suggestions here, guys. I might add that I ride a motorcycle and added an LED, flashing brake light to my bike. It is significantly brighter than the OEM brake light.

I've actually seen the reaction of drivers behind me when I apply the new LED lights.

Originality is important to you AH guys, I know. But the LED brake lights are relatively hidden from most folks. Again, considering the relative brightness of the bulb tail lamps and LEDs, there's no comparison. This is a huge safety issue in my opinion.

Installation requires a small circuit board that reduces the voltage to the LED. It should be easy to install and may be found from a number of reputable manufacturers.

PM me and I'll be glad to recommend a vendor, if need be.