• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Rotisserie for a TR6 restoration project

• Thread starter Deleted member 4998
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4998

Hi,
Last spring after four years of hard but challenging work I completed the rebuilding of a MG TF which I enjoyed driving it all summer. Recently I bought a 1971 TR6 that the previous owner has started the restoration but decided to quit the project after he did a very good job on the frame repairing what need to be fix and replacing all the parts with new ones (bushing, springs, shocks, tie rods etc). I bought the car already dismantled which save me work but making the task more difficult to put it back together being not to familiar with the TR6. I started the project by fabricating a rotisserie because the body need a lot of repair and that precious tool will ease the task quite a lot. I will keep posting picture of my progress along the way and probably ask for some advises.
rotiss.jpg
roti59.jpg
roti69.jpg

GeeBee

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That's really nice! You should make plans for the rotisserie. I'm sure lot of guys here would want one, including myself.

Looks like you'll have a pretty cool setup when that TR is done. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Radford

Jedi Knight
What a clever use for that GM jack. No kidding, that's an awesome rig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

trboost

Jedi Trainee
A classic case of shiprights disease ! Look how organized your garage is, you should be ashamed. How do you expect to restore a british car with out parts all over the place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck with the resto, look's great so far. It's all worth it to put another potential parts car or junker back in to service to be enjoyed..
P.S. Nice rear shock set up.

71tr

Jedi Warrior
That thing is awesome, wish I had that sense of organization and procedure. Nope, just boxes of parts, a homemade wooden body dolly and completed pieces scattered about my house!

Question on the rear shock setup, is that the thru the body type that will have to be dismantled before the tub can be reunited?

OP
D

Deleted member 4998

You are right about the rear shock. The inner rear fender is sandwiched between the top shock support and the bracket
frame_65.jpg
frame_64.jpg

71tr

Jedi Warrior
GeeBee, thanks for the photos. I'm in about the same situation here. The frame is done and all suspension components, just waiting for a rear hub rebuild to get the chasis rolling again. The rebuilt engine is wrapped in a blanket waiting for me to finish the tranny-overdrive rebuild. All body wings are done and now the body tub awaits. Not too much of a rust problem, mostly just removal of dirt and grease then repaint. I noticed the yellow suspension bushes, what is the brand?

OP
D

Deleted member 4998

The bushes are polyurethane and they were ordered with the Spax shock conversion kit from Rimmer Bros. of England. The invoice I have doesn't specify the brand of the bushes. Hope this help.

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Those darn English, they have all the coolest stuff over there. Thanks and good luck with the project, keep us posted.

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You can get that same shock conversion kit from TRF, Victoria British, BPNW and Moss, all in the USA!

71tr

Jedi Warrior
I must not have been clear, I was referring to the fun yellow suspension bushes.

trboost

Jedi Trainee
The poly bushings (Prothane ) are also available from Moss, TRF & others here, but usually come in red. It's always nice to color coordinate bushings & body color /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

These give the car a far superior tightness without any harsh feedback or poor wear quality of the original rubber parts. It is critical that these bushings are well lubed with the grease supplied.