• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rookie question on adjusting valve clearance

BN6_2197

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I want to check the valve clearance of my BN6. The plate mounted on my valve cover says "0.012'' when engine is hot", the workshop manual says "0.012'' when engine is cold". What's correct. I am confused since in my perception the values should be different depending on the condition (hot or cold) of the engine.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
IMOP:
Following the workshop manual is the safest root,as the engine heats up the valve gap most likely will increase so they may be just a bit noisy.

Valve covers can be changed as well as the riveted on tag?

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You have to adjust them when the engine is cold so you can run the engine to make it hot. So, adjust to 0.012" cold, then check again when hot.

Country flag
The MGB is 2/3 of a Healey__and my humble beginning to LBCs__and the spec on that one is .015" cold. Years and years ago, before I fitted the Isky cam (which alters the settings, so prior to 1986), I set the Healey's valves @ .015" cold, and then checked them hot__I mean really HOT, like after a suitable drive, NOT just letting it warm up idling in the driveway__and they were at least close enough to .012" to leave them alone.

Remember: loose valves won't cost you money, but tight ones will! The only time an exhaust valve dissipates heat is while it is in contact with the seat, and the tighter the clearance, the less time on the seat.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Anybody have experience with the click and adjust device? I have a new one and instructions read funny. I'm thinking of giving them to a shrink to translate.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
John, what is the expected value then when the engine is hot?
With my cam and aluminum head, valve clearance is suppose to be 0.015". Turns out, I set them cold and they were still close to 0.015" hot. Randy's results are probably more representative.

DavidThorn

Country flag
Patrick

I have a click adjust tappet tool.The idea is that is allows for wear in the rocker arm,at the point of contact with the push rod,which feeler gauges would bridge.

What it doesn't do it to stop you inadvertently changing the adjustment you have set by allowing the screwdriver to move as you tighten the lock nut.

I have found that 7 clicks relates to about 0.012"

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Patrick

I have a click adjust tappet tool.The idea is that is allows for wear in the rocker arm,at the point of contact with the push rod,which feeler gauges would bridge.

What it doesn't do it to stop you inadvertently changing the adjustment you have set by allowing the screwdriver to move as you tighten the lock nut.

I have found that 7 clicks relates to about 0.012"
I understand what it supposed to do compensating for wear. The initial setup is what I'm having problems with. No one in my local Healey club will use one.

Country flag
Variation on a theme; I prefer the original, and a feeler gauge. If your rocker tips are that worn, then they should be resurfaced.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sn...968628&hash=item4d5f1d6919:g:9CsAAOSw~AVYvgYw