• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Robocalls

Country flag
As a business use cell, I don't have the ability to ignore calls since they can come from people in the company literally from around the globe. Recently I've started getting Robos in what sounds like Chinese...

Basil

Administrator
Boss
As a business use cell, I don't have the ability to ignore calls since they can come from people in the company literally from around the globe. Recently I've started getting Robos in what sounds like Chinese...

During the day, on my cell phone, I get a lot of calls from people looking for information / help related to NAMI. Still, if I don't recognize a number I let VM answer then, if they leave a message, I'm pretty good about calling back right away.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks gents. Sounds like the iPhone lets you filter incoming calls in Do Not Disturb mode.

But does that mean you'd have to have the phone set on Do Not Disturb 24/7, to block calls other than those in your "allow" list?

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Thanks gents. Sounds like the iPhone lets you filter incoming calls in Do Not Disturb mode.

But does that mean you'd have to have the phone set on Do Not Disturb 24/7, to block calls other than those in your "allow" list?

If you wanted to block them all the time, then yes. In that case you just turn "Do Not Disturb" "On" (rather than setting a schedule) and then select whether you want to allow calls from your contact list or your favorites or some other "group" you have set up in your contacts.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
If you wanted to block them all the time, then yes. In that case you just turn "Do Not Disturb" "On" (rather than setting a schedule) and then select whether you want to allow calls from your contact list or your favorites or some other "group" you have set up in your contacts.

Thanks. That sounds like *the* plan to eliminate getting junk calls.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Reading over this thread, it's amazing all the hoops we're jumping through, to control our phones.

Next thing you know, we'll be trying to figure out how to stop hackers from "tweaking" the electronics in our self-driving cars and smart device homes.

SmartHouse1-777x437.jpg

eek

20180320-Autos-1-1.png

eek eek

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Reading over this thread, it's amazing all the hoops we're jumping through, to control our phones.

Next thing you know, we'll be trying to figure out how to stop hackers from "tweaking" the electronics in our self-driving cars and smart device homes.
eek
eek eek

Basil

Administrator
Boss

I used to work closely with a person who had previously worked at one of those "alphabet" agencies. Without going into ANY details, suffice it to say it would scare the doo doo out of most people if they knew what was possible WRT hacking.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I just picked up a new iPhone XR and found that I've been getting warnings from AT&T when a suspected telemarketer or fraud call comes in. I don't know if this was due to getting the new phone or if the appearance of these alerts was just coincidental. When A suspected fraud call or telemarketer call comes in, I see "AT&T Alert: Fraud Risk" or "AT&T Alert: Telemarketer" in the caller ID area. Here are a couple screen shots from my "recent calls."

Image-1 copy.jpg

Image-2 copy.jpg

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Basil - I see those alerts show Missed Call.

So if the phone detects possible Fraud or Telemarketer, does the phone still ring?

Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Basil - I see those alerts show Missed Call.

So if the phone detects possible Fraud or Telemarketer, does the phone still ring?

Tom M.

Unfortunately, yes, but you can add that number to your blocked list which will prevent any further calls from ringing from that same number. I found this article on the feature, which apparently has been out since March, but I've only seen it with my new iPhone. (Maybe my older iPhone didn't support the technology?) .

https://www.theinternetpatrol.com/a...ounce-anti-robocalling-caller-id-partnership/

ATT also has an App called "Call Protect" which I'm going to check out - not sure how it works but it's supposed to add additional protections.

Update - I just read up on this "Call Protect App" and the description says you can configure so that any calls ID'd as AT&T Alert won't ring, but just be sent to VM.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks. You mention " ...you can add that number to your blocked list which will prevent any further calls from ringing from that same number."

But aren't most junk calls coming from fake numbers which show on the Caller ID? So if you block the number, it doesn't actually stop those junk calls.

Here in Connecticut, I get one or two junk calls a day. Caller ID inevitably shows the name of a Connecticut city, and a number that's randomly generated. Or, an real Connecticut person's name and number randomly picked from online directories. Wow. So for the last couple of years I've just assumed that *all* incoming calls are junk calls, unless I happen to be home and recognize the name on the Caller ID as one I've already entered in my phone's number list.

Anyway, amazing how convoluted the whole automated call thing has become.

Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Thanks. You mention " ...you can add that number to your blocked list which will prevent any further calls from ringing from that same number."

But aren't most junk calls coming from fake numbers which show on the Caller ID? So if you block the number, it doesn't actually stop those junk calls.

Here in Connecticut, I get one or two junk calls a day. Caller ID inevitably shows the name of a Connecticut city, and a number that's randomly generated. Or, an real Connecticut person's name and number randomly picked from online directories. Wow. So for the last couple of years I've just assumed that *all* incoming calls are junk calls, unless I happen to be home and recognize the name on the Caller ID as one I've already entered in my phone's number list.

Anyway, amazing how convoluted the whole automated call thing has become.

Tom M.

So far the numbers I've blocked have not called again, but you're right, the spammers spoof random numbers, I just installed the "Call Protect" App on my iPhone, and if AT&T detects a call as telemarketer or fraud call I can set the parameters to either block the call all together or send it to VM. Will be interesting to see how it works.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
So far the numbers I've blocked have not called again, but you're right, the spammers spoof random numbers, I just installed the "Call Protect" App on my iPhone, and if AT&T detects a call as telemarketer or fraud call I can set the parameters to either block the call all together or send it to VM. Will be interesting to see how it works.
The ones calling us don't use completely random numbers, they use random numbers with the same prefix as ours. If I could, I would block all the calls from that prefix, but then I wouldn't get any calls from SHMBO.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I must be a coincidence Basil. My older iPhone 6 just started getting those notices too.