• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Road America Pixs....

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I was last at Road America in 1959. I figured it was time for a return visit.

I went with my 'bride' and she really enjoyed it. It was also a business trip as I was promoting the Iola Old Car Show as well as enjoying the show and races.

This event featured Triumph, Morgan and Healey cars. There must have been over 200 in attendance. Many did not show their cars in the display area. And the pictures I've posted were taken early in the day before the majority of cars were parked.

There was a huge showing of Morgans...I believe most came from Illinois. Lots of TR's in the races as well as Healeys, Mini's and a few MG's. Spridgets galore!

It was nice to be back.
RAsign.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

RAearlyMorgan3wheeler.jpg

RAMorgancoupe.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

I'll try to get an album downloaded later....

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
In 1961 I had a TR3. My wife and I would just go out for "rides." Being new to the Elkheart area I didn't know where Road America was. While on one of our rides we came across a big sign that said "Road America. We pulled in and they were just getting it ready for the June Sprints. I asked one of the workers if it would be ok to tour the track. He said "sure, go ahead, Have fun." We ran three laps on it. The first was pretty conservitive but then I got a lot bolder. There was a lot of noise from the passenger side of the TR.
Something like that probably wouldn't happen today. The track I mean, not the noise.
D*mn, I ran the same groove as Sterling Moss.

OP
YankeeTR

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
kc_doyle said:
In 1961 I had a TR3. My wife and I would just go out for "rides." Being new to the Elkheart area I didn't know where Road America was. While on one of our rides we came across a big sign that said "Road America. We pulled in and they were just getting it ready for the June Sprints. I asked one of the workers if it would be ok to tour the track. He said "sure, go ahead, Have fun." We ran three laps on it. The first was pretty conservitive but then I got a lot bolder. There was a lot of noise from the passenger side of the TR.
Something like that probably wouldn't happen today. The track I mean, not the noise.
D*mn, I ran the same groove as Sterling Moss.
neat story...

Cheapsnake

Jedi Trainee
RA is home to several "vintage" events, all of them well worth the trip. You'll see and hear everything from the 3 wheeler Morgans to the Group 7 Can-Ams (makes your ears bleed). At the July 15 Brian Redman Challenge you can get yourself on the track and scare the cr*p out of yourself for a $75 donation to charity. You can then say you've raced in the footsteps of kc doyle.

OP
YankeeTR

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I think I'll paint my TR2 purple as a Tribute to Jim Jeffords 'Purple People Eater'...although in this picture it's blue...
JeffordsPurplePeopleEaterCorvette.jpg

I'm surprised no one has commented on the picture of the super-rare Warwick GT...

OP
YankeeTR

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
duckspuddle said:
THE WARWICK BELONGS TO DEAN TETTERTON OF RICHMOND VIRGINIA
yep...you are right. It looks like I'm going to buy an old TR2 gearcase that he has lying around...

I shot the breeze with him on Saturday. I got a ride in a 1960 Peerless when I was a lad and never forgot it...

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Dean is a TR gearbox genius. And a great guy and enjoyable to talk to or work with.

Here he is with the Warwick at VIR:

Attachments

• 5528-Dean&Warwick.jpg
    5528-Dean&Warwick.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 69
OP
YankeeTR

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Twosheds said:
Dean is a TR gearbox genius. And a great guy and enjoyable to talk to or work with.

Here he is with the Warwick at VIR:

That's him!

We had a minor medical emergency early Saturday afternoon. My wife and I were in Dean's pit area when I noticed my bride leaning against Dean's car...I thought she was posing for pictures. It turns out she had nearly fainted and she was propped up against his car!

He and his friend got her a chair and some cool water. She sat for a few minutes then I took her to 'cool off' a bit in my pickup. She was feeling OK after a little while and we really enjoyed the rest of the day.

But I have to thank Dean for his concern and his hospitality.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Yank, did you get a photo of Keith Files' TR4? Sorry, I don't know the number. It's the ex-Kastner Sebring TR4.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Hey, my brother, our father and I were there on Saturday. We were visiting dad, he lives about 50mi north of Green Bay. I have been to RA several times over the years, a great place!

Twosheds

Darth Vader
I drove The Blue TR3 to RA in '96 for the Vintage Festival. Triumph was the Featured Marque. Fantastic trip. I did Track Touring in the '3, but took it easy; it had to get me home!

It was an 850.0 mile trip, but I didn't get the Longest Distance Driven Award. Someone drove from New England. But since he drove a TR6, I should have won on Index of Discomfort.

OP
YankeeTR

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Twosheds said:
I drove The Blue TR3 to RA in '96 for the Vintage Festival. Triumph was the Featured Marque. Fantastic trip. I did Track Touring in the '3, but took it easy; it had to get me home!

It was an 850.0 mile trip, but I didn't get the Longest Distance Driven Award. Someone drove from New England. But since he drove a TR6, I should have won on Index of Discomfort.
Long distance driving in a Sidescreen TR builds character!