• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rims need to be restored and/or replaced

Country flag
My 1980 MGB is in very good condition having been garaged most of it's life. Most everything except for the convertible top gets compliments and is close to factory original condition. Having said that the stock rims ( Mag-style without trim rings )are a glaring weakness. During the rainy season this year they actually started to get some rust spots, and in general look poor in my view. I would like to put the car up on blocks and take off the rims to have them restored to original condition. Another option would be to replace them with center lock wire wheels which were an option that year.

So for those who have faced this dilemma, which option did you choose, and how much can I expect to pay for the various options?

Remove the factory Rostyle wheels and have them media blasted. You can then have them painted in a Hammered Silver with the Satin Black inserts. Get some estimates of cost in your area.

To replace them with centre-locks would require that you replace the front and rear hubs as well as the differential.

You can get bolt-on aftermarket wheels such as K&R Minilyte replicas...or go online and look for Datsun 280Z and ZX rims. You'll need a 4-bolt 4-1/2" bolt pattern with about a 28mm offset.

Hap Waldrop of Acme racing (a vendor here on the BCF) also has some nice aftermaet wheels available.

OP

Country flag
It sounds like the center locks are out based on what you said. As to the aftermarket, I am reluctant to get away from the OEM look. As to the restoration, how much would you think it will cost to restore them to original spec(ballpark)?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If you want to keep it original, stick with the rostyles and have them restored. The bolt on wires are very expensive when all is done and not an original option. If you are not dead set on originality as far as the wheels are concerned, as Rick has said, Hap Waldrup sells a very attractive set of mag type wheels that will bolt right on. They really make an MGB look sharp. If I had a disk wheel B, it would have Haps wheels on it. JMHO. PJ

OP

Country flag
"Hap Waldrop of Acme racing"

Thanks to both of you for the suggestion. I will look at what he has and see how much $$$ it would be vs. restoring my originals.

Does anyone have a link for him since his ad does not seem to be on the site at the moment?

TIA

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
This is my '74 GT with VTO wheels from Hap. He also has other types.
Harry

Attachments

• 27177.jpg
    27177.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 123

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Harry, That is one sharp looking B! PJ

OP

Country flag
I finally got around to getting an estimate for sandblasting & powder coating the original rims. It will essentially be $150 per rim with a lifetime guarantee.
While I know 1980 MGB's do not have a high resale value, I am wondering what the collective opinion of this forum is in keeping it as original as possible, vs. getting after market rims for around the same cost?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
111 said:
I finally got around to getting an estimate for sandblasting & powder coating the original rims. It will essentially be $150 per rim with a lifetime guarantee.
While I know 1980 MGB's do not have a high resale value, I am wondering what the collective opinion of this forum is in keeping it as original as possible, vs. getting after market rims for around the same cost?

after market, or, wait and watch ebay till you find someone who did what you are proposing and now has to sell for pennies on the dollar.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
111 said:
I am wondering what the collective opinion of this forum is in keeping it as original as possible, vs. getting after market rims for around the same cost?
That's truly a matter of personal taste and opinion. Nothing we do on these old MGs is cost effective.
grin.gif

Seriously, don't worry about resale, think about what you want to be driving -- that's the most important. I tend towards a more stock car, but my car has a set of Minilite-style aftermarket wheels (and a Moto-Lita steering wheel). If you do decide to go with the aftermarket wheels, just keep the originals with the car.

I'd think no effect on the resale value either way. Since you asked, if it were me I'd go with a set of VTO wheels from Hap just to have newer wheels as the old ones get out of round after a while. But the original wheels do look good...

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Your repair cost of $150 each is roughly equal to buying new wheels. The Rostyle wheels on your car are old and do have a life-cycle (I've cracked a number of them under racing conditions, but even in street useage, they eventually crack).

I'd go for a new set of wheels under the idea of improved safety as well as the appealing styling of the newer Minilite-style wheels.

You could still keep the old wheels to pass on the the next owner (to ensure the car is still 100% original).

For what it's worth, your rubber bumper MGB will probably be worth more some day, but not in the near term. They are quite common and the values on these cars are fairly steady. The addition of non-standard wheels is unlikely to have an effect on overall value of the car.
An older MGB (like a more-rare 1962 "pull handle car") in similar shape is worth much more and would be more effected by non-standard parts.

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
These were done with a Rattle Can
and one of those Moss templates.
They look great with the chrome beauty rings on.

droid1185.jpg

easy enough to do
droid1184.jpg

OP

Country flag
<span style="font-weight: bold">I haven't decided yet, but thanks for all the suggestions/opinions/information guys, it has really been helpful.</span>

toysrrus

Yoda
CZ_Dave said:

Hi Dave,

I`m typ. on the Triumph Forum & doing some research for a friend of mine with a `79B.

You state here; "MOSS TEMPLATE" for the Orig wheels. Whats the template P/N to order from Moss?

Thanx, Russ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
FWIW there is no template for Midgets - I did mine with painters tape - a little more time but I'm pleased with the results.

Attachments

• 27947.jpg
    27947.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 160
OP

Country flag
I meant to mention my MGB is yellow with the black pinstripes and lettering. So while many people seem to go for the classic 8 look which is silver, I'm wondering if I should go with retro 4 look with black rims? Any thoughts as to which will look better?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
111 said:
I meant to mention my MGB is yellow with the black pinstripes and lettering. So while many people seem to go for the classic 8 look which is silver, I'm wondering if I should go with retro 4 look with black rims? Any thoughts as to which will look better?

Post a picture of your car and someone with Photoshop skills ought to be able to show the car with the different options. Then we can all vote!

(I personally think a set of "24's" with spinners is just the ticket - Yo!)

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
toysrrus said:
CZ_Dave said:

Hi Dave,

I`m typ. on the Triumph Forum & doing some research for a friend of mine with a `79B.

You state here; "MOSS TEMPLATE" for the Orig wheels. Whats the template P/N to order from Moss?

Thanx, Russ

Actually the template came from Victoria British,
part #15-378

OP

Country flag
JPSmit said:
Post a picture of your car and someone with Photoshop skills ought to be able to show the car with the different options. Then we can all vote!

MG006.jpg

1980MG015.jpg