• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rewiring my 79 mIdget

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
Her wires are a bit in distress...so I thought I'd start doing some rewiring..easy stuff first like tailights, sidemarkers, etc...Curious as to what kind of wire to use? I wen tot Pep Boys and bought a lot of diff. colors for 14-16AMP (?) gauge(?) wires...is this sufficient?

Lou

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Is heavy enough, no prob.

why not just put a new loom in it.

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
Jack,

not sure what a new loom is?? I'm a newbie..can you explain?

thanks! lou

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A complet wireing system like from Moss or one of the others.

All wireing is color correct and has the right connectors. Very easy to install. Should not take more than maybe 3 hours for the entire car. Just like a new one off the showroom floor.

Morris

Yoda
Three hours in stripped down Bugeye... maybe.

On a '79 It's gonna take CONSIDERABLY more than 3 hours.

Not arguing against a new loom, just making sure you know what you are getting into before you make that purchase.

G

While your at it add some relays for the headlights. One for high and low beams. I also used a GM style fuse block that I picked up at the wrecking yard.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Morris said:
Three hours in stripped down Bugeye... maybe.

On a '79 It's gonna take CONSIDERABLY more than 3 hours.

Not arguing against a new loom, just making sure you know what you are getting into before you make that purchase.

:iagree: you would need to remove your dash and a good chunk of your interior - side panels in both wheel wells - carpet under both seats and full side on passenger side. Also, there's the matter of grommets which I would hope are included but I'm not sure.

However, after that, it's relatively straight forward mostly just replacing plugs

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think you guys are just slow workers. LOL

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
X2 on replacing the entire harness. The wires and connections get brittle over time. Your harness is approaching 30 years old. Also, when you replace the entire harness you'll be suprised how well the electrical componets will work and function. Sure it's a bit more expensive and time consuming but well worth it. It will also help safe guard your midget from future electrical fires.

Country flag
IMO, most of the wire you buy at general parts store is not very good. The insulation does not have enough crosslinking and can easily be torn/worn away.

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
that sounds liek a plan!! thank you! Tony carry them?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
He has em Moss and they are just fine. That's what I used and was an easy job.

Morris

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I think you guys are just slow workers. LOL[/QUOTE]

I am not slow. I work very fast and make lots and lots of mistakes that take a very long time to correct. LOL

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
There are other places to buy wiring harnesses that have come highly recommended--wasn't British Wiring (https://www.britishwiring.com/) one of them?

In any case, I agree about the quality of auto-store wire; it can be pretty bad stuff. I usually solder things when I can, and the insulation on most of that stuff shrinks back when it gets hot! Radio-Shack wire is no better, in fact worse, but I think if you try one of the electronics outlets like Digi-key or Mouser, you'll do OK.

Assuming that a lot of the wiring is in bad shape, and not just a couple wires, I think I'd just buy a harness. Anything to enhance reliability. Electrical problems can just stop you cold--bad thing to happen in the middle of traffic.

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Check out British Wiring's web site. I got a brand new one from them for Midgie and it was the best purchase. Agree with the above on parts store wiring. Great for quick fixes, but to do an entire British car, fit a new loom. You'll be thankful you did.

To install one with a full interior still in will probably take you a weekend or longer. Depends on what else you find in there. First place I would start is find the wiring schematic for your car and have a blueprint shop enlarge it along with the legend. Then have them laminated so you can take dry erase markers and draw circuits on it, plus keeps it clean. It's one of the best tools for wiring work.

While you're at it get new pigtails for your headlights. Those see a lot of abuse over the years since they're exposed to the elements. Usually they're spliced and diced beyond recognition. Check the contacts of the components the wiring goes into and clean them. Check areas where your ground (black)wires fit the car and clean them. Not doing so can turn up some nasty gremlins with lights...especially turn signals.