• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Reversing With Overdrive "On"

nevets

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
As I was backing out of my garage, I heard a curious clicking sound. When I recognized that moving the shift lever to the right would cause the clicking to occur, I realized what was going on and switched the OD to normal. I then when on a longish drive and the OD worked (and sounded) as it should. Now I'm worried that I may have damaged the transmission and/or OD and a major repair may be looming. I'm hoping I dodged a bullet, but would feel better if I got some reassurance. Thanks.

red57

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I think you're OK, If you just started it and backed out of the garage, you would not have had a chance to make hydraulic pressure in the OD (transmission tailshaft has to turn to pump oil to make pressure in order to shift) so it would not have been able to physically shift into OD - you were still physically in 'normal' and were just hearing the solenoid clicking.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As I was backing out of my garage, I heard a curious clicking sound. When I recognized that moving the shift lever to the right would cause the clicking to occur, I realized what was going on and switched the OD to normal. I then when on a longish drive and the OD worked (and sounded) as it should. Now I'm worried that I may have damaged the transmission and/or OD and a major repair may be looming. I'm hoping I dodged a bullet, but would feel better if I got some reassurance. Thanks.
Well nevets:

All I can say is maybe U got Lucky. ?

AHDB7

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
John, than you for the link to the Triumph thread on this topic. It is quite informative.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I've done it a couple of times backing out of the garage in the 72 B, never caused a problem, not that I would recommend making a habit of it. PJ

OP
nevets

nevets

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the replies and for the link to the TR post. I did warm up the car for a few minutes before backing up and during that time I heard intermittent clicking. At first I thought it could be the fuel pump acting up. Hopefully, I will have the presence of mind to avoid doing this again?

red57

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
nevets,

Again, unless you had it jacked up so the driveshaft could turn, just sitting still the transmission tailshaft/overdrive input shaft is not turning, therefore the pump is not pumping so it's making no hydraulic pressure so it cannot shift into OD.

I severely damaged one once many years ago by having the shift lever switch disconnected (so I could have OD in 2nd gear - the foolishness of youth). I missed a turn and stopped and quickly put it in reverse without turning the OD off and backed up about 5' before there was a very noticeable grinding/crunching feel/sound. I barely made it the 3 miles to home and upon disassembly found the unidirectional clutch had destroyed itself along with the anulus it runs in - was very expensive. Point being, if you damaged anything, I think you would know right away.