• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Resource for BMC/Leyland parts for Sprites?

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
There are a couple of you that always seem to be able to quote part numbers and know when changes were made. What resource are you using? I know this was posted once, but I forgot to write it down.Any help on this would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
One source is the Service Parts List. I have one dated 1958 and another dated 1960 for Bugeyes.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How about a list of serious books for serious Spridget folks.

Special Tuning - Austin-Healey Sprite

Workshop Manual - "

Spritely Years - John Sprinzel

Healeys and Austin-Healeys - Peter Browning and Les Needham

More Healeys - Geoffrey Healey

Original Sprite and Midget - Terry Horler

MG Midget and Austin-Healey Sprite Automotive Repair Manual - Haynes

Tuning BL's A-Series Engine - David Vizard

Factory parts list

Just my List not complete I am sure.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks, guys. I have been on the hunt for various parts and it looks like I need to hunt for a couple more resources first.
Kevin

Jimflorida

Jedi Trainee
The parts list is a bit hard to find, isn't it? Jim

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
ichthos said:
Thanks, guys. I have been on the hunt for various parts and it looks like I need to hunt for a couple more resources first.
Kevin

But, while the list is great. Horler is what you need for the schedule of changes. After that (other than things like engine blocks) the part numbers you hear quoted are 99% Moss Motors and 1% Victoria British.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not so sure anyone uses original part numbers except for NOS items. Seems Moss has taken over.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Moss UK uses the original parts numbers. https://www.moss-europe.co.uk

They often have items that Moss USA doesn't have and often have the same item at a better price including shipping. I've had delivery from Moss UK in three days from the order on small packages.

The Moss UK catalog is much larger and more comprehensive than the Moss USA catalog with better illustrations.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
ichthos said:
I don't understand that. Wouldn't it be easier to use the original part numbers?
Kevin

Would be but Moss USA is the biggest supplier and they don't so we don't. It's just easier as we all have. Moss catalogues or pull them off the website.

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Kevin, I think that Brown & Gammons in the UK also uses original MG part numbers, which I presume would be the same as Sprite numbers. Of course, there are a lot of parts on your Bugeye that I believe they do not carry. I have heard their paper catalog is worth ordering like any other book on Jack's list, but it is not cheap.

You have to think about how these parts are numbered in terms of how the parts are binned in Moss's warehouse. If you peruse the Moss's website long enough you might begin to discern some kind of logic. It seems like the six number code for nuts and bolts starts with 3XX-XXX. Brake parts begin with 180-XXX, etc. If you looked at it long enough you would see a pattern.

So, if you are a stock picker with an order printout, your job is to pack the order, you go to the aisles with the 180s, pick out your brake parts, move along to the 300s, for bolts, etc. and fill out the rest of the order. You want someone to be able to do this really fast.

Of course, Moss is also using this same six-letter code to organize parts for Big Healeys, Triumphs, MGBs and MGCs, etc. so they don't have to have a separate warehouse for every make of car, or 10 different bins all over 10 different warehouses for the same size screw.

If you download that parts list from spridgetguru.com you will see that the parts are numbered almost randomly, probably because they were borrowing from so many makes of existing BMC cars to build the Spridgets. I should imagine if I was going to start from scratch I would come up with a system similar to Moss's.

Of course, part number taxonomy, binning, and warehouse layout is an entire science--just ask Amazon. They are probably the best in the world at this.

Just my 2-cents' worth

Charlie

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I didn't expect so many replies on this topic - thanks for all the information. I found and ordered a 1960 Sprite service list that was well used but in decent condition, and the book by Horler. I am hoping for some interesting reading.
Kevin

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The best in the world is our Military. It was nothing to have hundreds of thousands of parts in your inventory. Stock numbers, we had millions.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I can buy that.