• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT Reproduction light switch

Crazyman60

Freshman Member
Country flag
Just got started tinkering with my newly acquired ‘72 GT. I began replacing different switches such as the hazard switch blower switch and lastly the light switch. I needed to get my state inspection so I that I can drive it. Everything inside is beginning to coming alive again, until tonight. I pushed the light to turn headlights off and switch broke, it would not move. I took the switch out and it had melted. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 4702467E-741A-4261-AEC6-1CA9F279D396.jpeg
    4702467E-741A-4261-AEC6-1CA9F279D396.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 35

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Check also the wiring diagram to see if there is a relay someone might have bypassed thus passing the whole load thru a switch not designed to handle it.
Bob

OP
C

Crazyman60

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks. There no telling how many hands have been on this car in the past 50 years. The original switch was broken internally but there was any sign shorting. The bottom of the steering column and behind the console, I found lots of spiced wires.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I looked at Moss catalog and find no mention of a light relay. I say you have a short that you need to track down.
Bob

OP
C

Crazyman60

Freshman Member
Country flag
Until a day ago the lights were being turned on for short periods. I got the safety inspection done on it yesterday and I have been driving everywhere with the lights on. One thing that I forgot to mention, The tail lamps stopped working right before leaving for the inspection. Lots of fooling around back there by previous owner’s. The headlamps where working then.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
IMHO, a "short" someplace in the wiring would result in the dreaded Smoke Release. What is more likely is the switch overheated due to high resistance somewhere in the lighting circuit. Better to find and clean/refurb ALL ground points in the light circuit. It wouldn't hurt to add a relay and redundant ground wiring either. A ground wire for the rear is using the license tag fastener inside the car as a ground, that one can be a hidden issue. Lights draw a fairly heavy load compared to most other things, why BMC/Leyland didn't put relays in the lighting run is beyond me.

And don't get me started about aftermarket wiring and controls... :devilgrin:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
I have done many plastic English motors and never had all of the issues that folks experience with earths?
All English wiring codes are the same. Really no need for a diagram once you memorize the colours.

OP
C

Crazyman60

Freshman Member
Country flag
IMHO, a "short" someplace in the wiring would result in the dreaded Smoke Release. What is more likely is the switch overheated due to high resistance somewhere in the lighting circuit. Better to find and clean/refurb ALL ground points in the light circuit. It wouldn't hurt to add a relay and redundant ground wiring either. A ground wire for the rear is using the license tag fastener inside the car as a ground, that one can be a hidden issue. Lights draw a fairly heavy load compared to most other things, why BMC/Leyland didn't put relays in the lighting run is beyond me.

And don't get me started about aftermarket wiring and controls... :devilgrin:

OP
C

Crazyman60

Freshman Member
Country flag
I just bought relays from Moss and I am checking wires, and I must say that I am learning the colors of the wiring, the hard way at times.
When I replaced the original headlight switch it was because it had come apart internally. There were were no signs of overheating on the wires or switch itself. The replacement literally melted where the spades are. I will be checking the grounds. Thanks to everyone for your help and insight.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Relays are good as long as they are wired correctly.
They are to take the load away from the switch. Napa sells relays if you need them quicker.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've had aftermarket switches in the past. Mostly they are pretty crap compared to an original switch. The parts in as idevthe switch are thinner and contacts are not as good. These arc and Couse the brass bits to heat up and melt the plastic. If you have no alternative use a relay to remove the load from these switches

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I know Moss sells a relay kit that you can use to take most of the current load away from the switch. There are no lighting relays from the factory, and with all the lamps functioning there is around 15 amps of current going thru that switch (and that can certainly generate enough heat to melt the plastic).

Going to LED bulbs would also reduce the current draw dramatically.