• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

replacement air filters for dual Webber carbs

humanoid

Did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. The previous owner of my 7 had dual Webber carbs installed along with 2 POS K&N air filters. I want to ditch those and go with more traditional air filters. Does anyone know which ones will work?

OP
humanoid

humanoid

Don, the PO of my TR7 had 2 separate filters for each of the carbs. Which would work better? One for both carbs or 1 for each one? Would it make a difference? I'm still a noob to all this so please excuse my ignorance. I'm much more comfortable working on my Toyota Tacoma! LOL

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Probably isn't that much of a deal. It's mostly what you like. And to clean 2 verse 4

OP
humanoid

humanoid

So Don, any ideas on some filters for this noob?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have you looked at K&N online?
I take for granted they are DCOE?

OP
humanoid

humanoid

I want to get rid of the K&Ns that I currently have. Do they have a cross-reference chart for other filters? Sorry, but what is DCOE?

philman

Jedi Knight
California let you replace the stock carbs with something else? I always heard that they frowned on that.

OP
humanoid

humanoid

philman said:
California let you replace the stock carbs with something else? I always heard that they frowned on that.

Well, the DMV let the PO register the car so I guess it's OK, but I still have yet to get it smogged, my 7 is still sitting at my mechanic's for a few touch ups.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Might be worth checking it out before you spend money on new filters ... any shop that passes it with a pair of DCOE could lose their license if they get caught. It WILL be listed in their database as having either a single 1bbl ZS (49 state) or fuel injection (CA version) and no one is stupid enough to mistake a pair of DCOE for a 1bbl
grin.gif

Filter per carb will be much easier to source; of course you'll also need to know what carbs you have. Then google for them, lots of folks carry Weber filters. Eg,
https://www.racetep.com/webfilter.html#dcoe
https://www.racetep.com/ramflolynx.html

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
humanoid said:
Sorry, but what is DCOE?
Weber's designation for the series of carbs. Then within the DCOE class there are different size designations, DCOE 40, 42, 45, 48, etc. (approximate size of the throat in millimeters).

Check out the DCOE photos at
https://www.teglerizer.com/dcoe/dcoepictures.htm

If your carbs look a lot different, they may be something else.

OP
humanoid

humanoid

Dang, still not sure which Webber carbs I have. I guess I'll update this thread with pics of them when I get the chance. Hehehe, we've got an insider to help me get my 7 smogged. Thanks for all your help.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hush up about the testing. TMI! :wink:

K&N filters aren't a bad way to go, depending on which Webers we're talkin' here. Are there velocity stacks on 'em? That can make filtration choices different.

I guess what we need are some photos! :laugh:

swift6

Yoda
You might not have DCOE's, you could have DGV's. So anwswer this one question to clarify the type of carburettors you have. Since you are a self declared "noob", I'll make it real simple.

Are the air filters on top of the carbuertors, or on the side?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Shawn, ya cut right to th' chase... I wuz hopin' for pix. :wink:

Side draw carbs are more common on the 7's than DGV's so my money's on 40 DCOE's. 'specially if it's a Kent engine with a crossflow head.

swift6

Yoda
:thirsty:

Oh Doc, I know you get around to most of the different forums here, just like I do. We happen to be in the Triumph Forum here. :savewave: The OP has a 1980 TR7, I would be VERY suprised if it had Kent engine with a crossflow head under the bonnet.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
mehheh... "7" rang my bell.

"Ready! Fire! <span style="font-size: 8pt">...aim...</span>"

I'll go back to my room now, Shawn. :shocked:

OP
humanoid

humanoid

Shawn, the filters on on top of the carbs. As stated earlier, I'll snap some pics and post them up here when I get the car back from the mechanic.

swift6

Yoda
Then you have Weber DGV's. Each carburetor is a progessive two barrel (primary and secondary feeds) downdraft design. DCOE's are a non-progressive side draft design for much higher performance.

The PO probably put on the Weber downdraft kit after the car was registered and licensed. Did you get a box with the original Zenith Stromberg sidedraft carburetors? They would look similar to this. They probably need rebuilt and you will most likely need them for your trip to the test station in California.

The manifolds that those Weber's use also tend to pool fuel and wash down the cylinders on start up with all the extra fuel. IMHO

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dgv's. There are basically only a couple of choices.One might be to high.
there a a couple of owners with these carbs. they'll pipe in. That is a lot of carb for that car.