• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Remember when carb cleaner was so strong ....

krswen

Freshman Member
Country flag
it made your eyes water, but it actually WORKED? What is the best cleaner available these days (in a bucket with a basket included)?

Ken

Hot Wings

The good stuff was Methylene Chloride AKA DCM or Dichloromethane. It's still a component of many paint strippers. If you can't find the good carb cleaner you can make your own by extracting the DCM from paint stripper with water. It's a very simple process. The DCM is not water miscible and will be the bottom fraction. Drain this off into a metal container and cover with some more clean water to keep it from evaporating.

OSHA and the EPA don't like this chemical so find the MSDS, read it, and make sure you understand it before use.

Edit: The last bucket (Gunk brand) I bought was from NAPA many years ago. They charged extra for a bucket with the basket. Don't do too much carb work anymore so it's still setting under the bench.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've heard that the latest "Hydroseal II" still works well, but haven't tried it myself. Their original formula was great stuff, but apparently outlawed in the US now.
https://www.gunk.com/products/DET_HS3K.ASP

One thing I learned the hard way, though, don't ever stick a hand into it without a glove. Even if you wash immediately, it crawls under your fingernails and hurts for weeks.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
The spray still takes the varnish off an antique kitchen table. Don't ask me how I know.

Hot Wings

Their original formula was great stuff, but apparently outlawed in the US now.

Just certain states. Gunk Hydroseal II is non chlorinated but they still offer a chlorinated spray product.

Typical old carb cleaner formula:
Methylene Chloride (Dichloromethane) 75-09-2 55-65
Cresols Mixture 10-15 ( i suspect it's the m-cresol that was the active isomer with the p-cresol giving the distinctive odor)
Mixed Xylenes 1330-20-7 20-30
Sodium Bichromate 10588-01-9
Ethyl Benzene 100-41-4

The new formula can be found in MSDS sheets.

Wynns and Johnsens also sell chlorinated carb cleaner in a spray can - some states. Kind of ironic that DCM is still available in a spray but not in a can that seals in the VOC's.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
To clean a carburetor today without the old products out there anymore, I use industrial grade Purple Power/Citrus cleaner. It's over twice as powerful as the stuff in the auto supply stores. I take the carburetor completely down, place the parts in a basket, (Do Not Get This Stuff On Your Skin) it will suck the oils right out of your skin, then let the parts soak over night completely covered. Rinse everything with water, dry it and go from there. Works for me. PJ

D

Deleted member 8987

The good stuff was Methylene Chloride AKA DCM or Dichloromethane. It's still a component of many paint strippers. If you can't find the good carb cleaner you can make your own by extracting the DCM from paint stripper with water. It's a very simple process. The DCM is not water miscible and will be the bottom fraction. Drain this off into a metal container and cover with some more clean water to keep it from evaporating.

OSHA and the EPA don't like this chemical so find the MSDS, read it, and make sure you understand it before use.

Edit: The last bucket (Gunk brand) I bought was from NAPA many years ago. They charged extra for a bucket with the basket. Don't do too much carb work anymore so it's still setting under the bench.
Yeah...I used to do a LOT of carb work. Had the metal bucket with basket in the corner. One day, walked into the shop to a BAD odor and wet floor. The stuff ate through the metal bucket.
Dave

Shane

Jedi Warrior
The spray still takes the varnish off an antique kitchen table. Don't ask me how I know.

:lol: As someone that still lays his parts out on our kitchen table, it's only a matter of time before I find a solvent that does the exact same thing.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
:lol: As someone that still lays his parts out on our kitchen table, it's only a matter of time before I find a solvent that does the exact same thing.

Oooo solvent Russian Roulette - I like

G

the new stuff works fine for me. My bucket is about 4 years old I think. It's brown, not the crazy yellow stuff.

JP, seriously? You must not like being married....

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag