• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Release Bearing Quality

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I've got my BJ8's engine out and the gearbox separated. Have heard through the grapevine there are some release bearings of questionable heritage and quality; anyone here had good or bad experiences to share?

If the new ones aren't lasting, I have a decision to make: the bearing that's in there has about 110K miles on it and looks almost brand new, but usually I'd replace this on principle (photo below). Anyone have a new one laying around they can measure the depth of the (usable) graphite?

releasebearing.JPG

Country flag
Clearly, you're a person that slips it into neutral/foot OFF the clutch, every time you stop!

Sorry that this doesn't have any dimensions listed, but this is an extremely low mile t/o brng that was in my car while fitted with an MGC box (next to no miles, actually). There's not a lot of difference in the way they look.

I personally haven't heard any complaints about what's currently available, but if you're concerned about them, your existing t/o looks to have a whole 'nother lifetime of use left in it.

IMG_7695.jpg

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I purchased one from a "major British car parts supplier" and ended up not using it. Although I don't have any empirical evidence this Made in India part was bad, cosmetically it didn't look good and the packaging made me suspect and nervous about using it. I ended up calling the guys in Stockton, CA and although they are a dealer for this "major British car parts supplier" they also had a quality alternative made by AP-Lockheed which I bought and used.

This restoration has dragged on and on to a point I am well beyond the return period for the initial one I bought. If there's any chance you might be able to use it, I would be more than happy to send it to you. For free obviously and I will even pay the shipping if somebody could actually use it. If interested, PM me.

Later,
Wally

p.s. oops, just realizes the BJ8 one is different from what I have. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
OP
Bob_Spidell

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Randy. I know of one guy who had a new one fail after 10K miles, and have heard 'rumors' of others.

Yeah, my GF chides me for putting all my cars--2 Healeys and a Mustang--into neutral at stops, and using the E-brake if on a slope. I figure it's automatics--seemingly 99% of cars on the road--causing about every fifth car I see having a burnt out brake light (or two, or three). I remember when you could get pulled over for that.

OP
Bob_Spidell

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I purchased one from a "major British car parts supplier" and ended up not using it..

Think I know who you're referring to, Walt. I bought one from a "major British car parts supplier" and returned it, and it was AP brand. I returned it because it was $88 'on sale,' and I found them elsewhere for less (under $24 at one supplier). Now, I'm wondering if the cheaper source is Indian made. Thanks for the tip.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Bob, as it happens I DID record the thickness of the new release bearing from Moss when I replaced mine in March 2014. The new bearing carbon measured 10/32". The one I was replacing had 80,584 miles on it (installed September 1997) but still measured 9/32". I had the gearbox out to rebuild the overdrive and replaced the pilot bushing and release bearing as a matter of course, but I kept the used one to reinstall next time because of its excellent history.

And yes, when I was learning to drive my father emphasized to me NEVER to keep the clutch pedal down when stopped. I have BJ8 friends who do, I've noticed.

OP
Bob_Spidell

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
... And yes, when I was learning to drive my father emphasized to me NEVER to keep the clutch pedal down when stopped. I have BJ8 friends who do, I've noticed.

Thanks for the info, Steve. And, yes, you should always shift to neutral and take your foot off the clutch, so it doesn't slip off while you're texting/talking on your cellphone/checking your voicemail/combing your hair/etc. :wink-new:

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the info, Steve. And, yes, you should always shift to neutral and take your foot off the clutch, so it doesn't slip off while you're texting/talking on your cellphone/checking your voicemail/combing your hair/etc. :wink-new:
That was funny!

OP
Bob_Spidell

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
OK, got some more info. The bearing sold by BJNorthwest is by PowerTune, from Taiwan. The one I got from Moss--over 4 times as expensive--is AP brand and, IIRC made in England. So now I'm thinking I should have kept the Moss part.