Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I'm starting to wrap up the TR3 trans and was wondering what grease every body is using for the release bearing and sleeve? Last time I did a clutch replacement (6 years ago) I used Valvoline red wheel bearing grease with good luck. Any ideas.
I use that black stuff: lithium base with moly and graphite super EP stuff. I pretty much use that everywhere grease goes. It's always done a good job for me, and I've been using it since before the red stuff became available.
I prefer to use dry spray-on moly lube both where the release sleeve rides the transmission front cover, and where the friction plate rides on the input shaft. https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2F138
It's not quite as slick as grease, but it can't dry out over time, nor collect clutch dust and get 'gummy'. It's worked well for me.
The release (aka throw-out) bearing itself is supposed to come permanently lubricated from the factory, with a fairly specific lubricant. I leave the bearing as-is.
My mistake, no grease inside the bearing just what it came with. Was wondering about the front cover. I never tried the spray on moly lube, good point about the dust.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.