• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Reinstalling 948 engine

Bill_Reid

Country flag
I'm looking for guidance on reinstallation of my Bugeye engine after a rebuild. I did not remove the transmission when the engine came out. So it's a matter of lining everything up and bolting the two back together. However, we have already had one unsuccessful go at it......just couldn't seem to get the transmission shaft completely seated in the rear of the engine, although the shaft did pass through the release bearing properly. I asume that the rear of the engine needs to enter the engine compartment at a downward angle.....how much? How about the motor mounts? Attached to the engine? attached to the frame? Not attached til the engine is almost in? Any advice would be appreciated......thanks, Bill

nomad

Yoda
I always use a couple of long bolts with the head's cut off and ground down to a little bit of a point to guide the engine and trans mating. A bolt on each side of the engine to slide through the mating holes on the trans. Of course the clutch plate has to be exactly centered and sometimes the input shaft needs to be turned a bit to get though the clutch plate splines. If you are having trouble right at the last I would expect that the clutch plate isn't centered or the angle is not quite right. The guide bolts would help the latter. Don't use too much force!

Kurt.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If all else fails, take the transmission out and attach it to the engine.....I have always found that is the easier way to do it on the Sprite.
Scott in CA

OP
B

Bill_Reid

Country flag
Thanks. I'll give the bolts a try. Any thoughts on the motor mounts......Attached to engine? Attached to frame?

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Lot easier stabing the input shaft thru the clutch and not as likely to scar the pilot bush with tranny out.
just remember to tape up the universal on driveshaft or it's another Easter egg hunt from that end too!

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
The motor mount by the steering column bolts to the car, the other one bolts to the engine
BillM

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The motor mount by the steering column bolts to the car, the other one bolts to the engine
BillM
The motor mounts are "handed" , so mount to the correct side. Do not ask how I found out.
Paul

nomad

Yoda
I've always found it a toss up on bolting the engine and trans together in the car or out. I'm ready to pull the engine in my BE and will leave the trans in. If you get things lined up it should slip together. The usual problem is that the clutch disc isn't quite centered. I have an old trans input shaft to use for centering the clutch disc but I've done quite a few of other match's by eye balling the clutch disc but only tightening the pressure plate enough that it holds the clutch disc loosely. Then with my guide bolts I slide the trans in. Then I'll remove it and do the final tightening on the pressure plate. Really never had a problem with these technique's.