• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Refurbishing Lucas Electrical Items

mylesw

Jedi Hopeful
Hello

The horns, starter motor and wiper motor that came off my TR4 all worked before they were removed. I would like to refurbish them by which I mean dismantle, clean and paint, replace any worn parts and rebuild. Does anyone have a how-to for refurbishing these items, in particular the wiper motor?

Thanks

Myles

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don Elliott said:
Here is the LUCAS site for all you need to know about Lucas
Personally, I think Lucas gets a bad rap. Most of the really bone-head stuff; like grounding the battery to the body and not the engine block; or no fuses for the headlights; was done by ST/BL, not Lucas.

Sorry, Myles, don't have any articles to offer. Pretty much no internal parts are available for the horns & wiper motor; so you're limited to clean, lubricate and adjust on those. Starter brushes & bushings should be available (tho I had to cut a stock bushing to size last time, as the Big 3 didn't have them for my starter).

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Horns are actually very crude devices and if yours are not completely shot they can be re-built. I will try to attach an article on the Lucas "windtone" units.

try this: https://www.vintagemg.com/ArticlePDFs/THorns1-2.pdf

also this site which is primarily MG has good general info on Lucas electricals. https://www.vintagemg.com/technicalarticles.htm

wiper motors , like most DC motos have brushes that need to be replaced eventually. I have re-built several and I always replace the brushes even though there is plenty left. You can buy replacement carbon brushes from WW Grainger or McMaster Carr. Or, if you have an automotive electric shop nearby, bring the motor to them and get a quote for rebuilding it or just ask them to give you a set of brushes. these wiper motors are attached to a gear house which coverts the rotary motion to the linear motion which moves the wipers back and forth. these are very easy to disassemble, clean and replace grease. one other thing, the adjustment of the parking contact can be a pain and in-fact can be the reason for a total malfunction. do a search on this forum and you are bound to find many threads on Lucas wiper motors.

starters are re-buildable unless you have a long-nose unit which have some rare parts. most auto electric shops can rewind these motors and renew the brushes.

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The Haynes book "Classic Car Electrical Systems - Repair Manual" is a decent general reference. Although it is not marque specific, it is focused on British cars, and they deal with all the major components (starter, horns, generator/alternator, wipers, lighting circuits, etc) as well as some pretty good 'basics' about the electrical system.

You might even find a copy in your local public library.

The author is Dave Pollard. The ISBN is 1-85960-433-1. The Haynes manual number is H433.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Don, there's always a smartie in the crowd!

mylesw said:
Does anyone have a how-to for refurbishing these items, in particular the wiper motor?

Well, I redid the wiper motor on my TR3, pretty much the same as the TR4. It worked before I took it apart, but it's dead now...only kidding. :jester: Other then simple hand tools, you will need a soldering iron, as there is at least one wire that I had to unsolder. New brushes are available, but they aren't cheap ($23 a pair). You might be able to go to an automotive electrical rebuilder and get a set of carbon brushes for an alternator that's the same size. They might have a wire attached, but that can be cut off. The armature can be cleaned up in a lathe...maybe that same alternator guy can do that for you also. The rest of the job is straight forward. I would also put in a new wire for the parking mechanism. That's the wire that runs from inside the wiper motor to the outside where that round cap is to adjust the park position.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Took my heater motor apart once. Still in baggies on the shelf.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I agree with Art about the local guy, but I'd just let him rebuild the entire unit. If they're going to turn the armature and supply new brushes, it won't be much more to get it rebuilt with a warranty. If you do it, no warranty .......... but, you do have the self satisfaction, so I understand that part of it.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
TR3driver said:
Starter brushes & bushings should be available (tho I had to cut a stock bushing to size last time, as the Big 3 didn't have them for my starter).

I got a bushing for a starter (bullet) from Mcmaster-Carr.