• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Redline Tires Suggestions

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I know this is a highly discussed topic, but after following the recent discussions, I am confused as ever and need some help with tire selection, prices, and sources. I currently have redline Michelins that are at least 20 years old. I know I have been riding on borrowed time, and need to get new tires before the end of this summer. I have narrowed down what I want: 1)redlines 2)tires that fill wheel well like original Michelins - a little wider is ok as long as they don't rub 3)tires that ride better than original Michelins. I would like to get tires as cheaply as possible with the above criteria so that it will fly with the boss. I noticed Coker has "Classic Redlines" 205/70R/15 for $171, but that seems spendy. Any suggestions?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Kevin- Shop Tire Rack (also a sponsor) 205/70/15 is what most use I think. If not 195/70/15 will work. I have Kumho on my Wedge. Good tires and not real Expensive. I spent $80 for a V rated 205/50/15.
If you want to go local,Discount tire has many brands and they will match Costco on the warranty

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
ichthos said:
I have narrowed down what I want: 1)redlines 2)tires that fill wheel well like original Michelins
Don't have a reference handy, but I know there are shops that can add "redlines" to any tire.

Inheritr6

If you must have redlines, $170 a tire seems about right. You can get redlines added on to a modern tire but that costs (last time I checked) about $40 per tire.

When I was buying tires I really wanted redlines to keep my car originally looking. After comparing cost vs. quality of tires it just didn't make sense to do the redlines (for me at least). I ended up getting some nice modern 205/70/15's and although I missed my redlines I love the performance and handling of my new tires and i got over the fact of not having redlines pretty quick.

bricktop

I was in the exact same situation a year or so ago...nothing like the look of a redline IMHO. Check Coker Tire website. I got a set of Coker Classic redlines.Slightly different dimensions that the Michelin redlines, but not much. They look great and I have no complaints at all with how they ride.

Carter

D

DougF

The Redlines are a beautiful tire. They really set the car off. But they are late '50s, early '60s technology.
When driving in the wet, you don't need a seatbelt since your body tends to grip the seat quite well on it's own.
I would look at something with good channeling.
The Tire Rack's sight is a good resource. Read the write ups and feedback and make your decision from there.
I've been running Kumho's for several years. Great tire. Unfortunately, mine has been discontinued. Last week, I bought the new #1 rated tire in the catagory. Too early to give any feedback.

RobT

Jedi Warrior
DIY Redlines

These tires were about $50 a pop as I recall.

Rob.

Tomster

Jedi Knight
PLEASE replace these tires sooner than " before the end of this summer. "
You and your car may not be here that long on those old shoes!

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I am running BF goodrich 205/70-R15, wouldnt have been my choise, I usually run Michlin tires but left it up to the local british car mechanic

HOndo

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well, I checked with the tire rack, and they no longer carry redlines. I am seriously considering making my own redlines as was suggested by Rob. In the article he cited, the author uses Michelin Symmetry White Lines 205/70R/15's. Does anyone have these on their car, and can they tell me how they feel they perform? How do these tires perform in wet conditions compared to the original redlines?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Why do you want Redlines. The tire is only an average tire and the cost is...

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I like the classic look of the redline, and quite frankly, I do not know the difference between an average or great tire. If I could try different tires out it would be simple. I do not have the money to make mistakes. Too bad you can't try them out like shoes.

RobT

Jedi Warrior
ichthos said:
Well, I checked with the tire rack, and they no longer carry redlines. I am seriously considering making my own redlines as was suggested by Rob. In the article he cited, the author uses Michelin Symmetry White Lines 205/70R/15's. Does anyone have these on their car, and can they tell me how they feel they perform? How do these tires perform in wet conditions compared to the original redlines?

The author would be me. Had the symmeteries on the car about a year and they are fine. Handle well in wet and dry, not a "performance" tire as such, but are just fine for what I want to do. And I checked the price - are about $100 each - guess I had chosen to let that slip my mind.

Hope that helps.

Rob.

TheSearcherMan

Jedi Trainee
The only tire that looks right on a TR6, with stock wheels is a redline. I don't think there are any Michelin redlines available at this time, and I think I am partly responsible for that. If you put Panasports or Minis on the car, other tires look fine. When I was tire shopping, and thinking about putting redlines on another tire, it cost more than Michelins. I have 5K miles on my Redlines, if you are interested, I would probably trade them for a new set of Panasport wheels. These tires of mine are from the last batch Michelin made. Also, keep in mind if you put low profile tires on the car, you need to lower it to not have the large gap over the wheels, and the speedo won't read right. Michelin makes by far the best tire in the world, and they know it, and the price reflects this.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Nice article, Rob. Why did you end up using the Symmetry as opposed to the X's? Aren't the X's closer to the original redline Michelins in height? The redlines you painted look perfect - did you have to tape them off, and how did you get such an even distribution of paint? How has your paint job held up after a year?

D

DougF

The tire I just bought is a General Altamax HP. I swore I'd never buy their tire just out of spite...Sooner or later, you'll buy General.
But the tire gets a good rating and is priced right. The closest size available to what you are looking for is a 205/65-15. Look it up.

RobT

Jedi Warrior
ichthos said:
Nice article, Rob. Why did you end up using the Symmetry as opposed to the X's? Aren't the X's closer to the original redline Michelins in height? The redlines you painted look perfect - did you have to tape them off, and how did you get such an even distribution of paint? How has your paint job held up after a year?

The symmetery's were the only Michelin's I could find with the narrow "white line" in the size I wanted (205/70R15). Are they available in "X" now also? The vinyl paint I used (rattle can from auto parts store) did start flaking a bit, but I think that was my fault - the can said "use above 70 deg", and it was no more than 50 out when I painted the tires. I re-did them with a PPG "specialty" vinyl paint that seems to be sticking just fine.

I did not mask off the wheels at all, just applied the paint by jacking up the car with the wheel on, and spinning the wheel while applying the paint with a 1/4 inch brush. The colour only shows up on the (formerly) white stripe. Its a doddle.

Rob.