• Hey Guest!
    British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!

    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)

TR2/3/3A Red ignition light staying on....alternator conversion.....voltmeter gauge

karls59tr

Yoda
Bronze
Offline
The alternator is a British Wiring unit and has been working well for several years. Lately the red ignition light has started to flicker and now is staying on.Recently when I drove the car it has been stalling out at stop signs and low idle which leads me to believe I am running on the battery only? I am using a voltmeter gauge that used to give readings in the 13 to 14 volt range when running but now shows just above 11 volts. However when testing the battery with a multimeter I get 12 volts at the battery and with the lights on for load I get 14.64 volts? Electrical is not my strong point. Any advice on how to proceed testing is most welcome. All connections are clean and tight and all grounds are solid ie to firewall and engine and at starter and solenoid. I do not know the quality of the voltmeter? Maybe I should disconnect it entirely to rule it out. Karl
 
Check voltage not running no load.This should be around 12 to13volts.
Start engine and voltage should go up 13-14volts.Turn on lights etc and voltatage should remain around 13.
Sound like the light is doing its job,indicating no output.
the ignition light wire to the alternator grounds the bulb circuit with no output,lighting bulb.When generator outputs12v there is no ground and light goes out.
Tom
 
Back
Top