• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Red 56 BN2 on ebay being presented as 100M

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Know I should list the item number or a link but don't have the former and don't know how to do the latter ! There is a red 1956 BN2 currently at $35,000+ where the seller states he has the Heritage Certificate stating it is a 100M. Problem is does not have a 100M engine or tranny. I actually e-mailed him about it and mentioned that the carb and dizzy numbers are wrong to go along with the BN1 trans. Hoped he might clarify that in his ad but instead added that the car has the correct diameter sway bar and the infamous bent X member. I would certainly hope that anyone looking at this knows enough to not pay 100M money for it as "appears" to possibly be a 100M body with some identifying marks that agree with the certificate but certainly not correct drive train. Has a reproduction VIN tag which makes it a little dubious too. Has correct aluminum trim pieces and deck lid rod support bracket but no mention about the bonnet having the correct body number. Just posting this on the chance that a forum member might be looking at this BN2. A nice one but missing the engine and trans will keep the price down from 100M values and hope someone doesn't bid it up thinking he/she is getting the real deal. Hate to see people get taken advantage of on ebay.
Regards,
Mike

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I agree that this car requires a very close and careful evaluation before a potential purchase. Of course, that's true for any collector car, but this one has some unusual features that make it even more important than usual.

What really strikes me, though, is the three-speed gearbox. A lot of BN1 owners have transplanted four-speeds into their cars, but I think that this is the first time I have heard of a three-speed finding its way into a BN2.

Bizarre!

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Reid is right about this one, bizzare!

There's a lot going on here with this car, but assuming it actually is what it is represented as...a factory 100M missing most or all of the "M" components. What do you do with something like this? I mean the (sorry Reid) IDIOT painted it red! Between that and the red interior, what do you figure that was? A $25,000 mistake?

When I first saw this thing, for a few seconds I was thinking if a guy could get this for $35-$40K, have it taken completely apart, repaint it the correct colors, re-do the interior, etc. Since I am just finishing my car I have a pretty good idea of what that would take and that maybe I could end up with $65K in it. But it's missing all the "M" stuff on top of that and there are some prettty big question marks raised mostly by the 3-speed trans and the bogus VIN tag doesn't help.

Like I said, what do you do with it?

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Know what you mean Walt - what is this thing worth ? Could be a 100M body/chassis but missing the drive train as that is probably not correct engine much less missing all the M parts and the 4 speed tranny. You could get hold of a side shift trans and add the M parts and from outward appearance will seem to be a 100M. Now he's added on the ebay ad that does not have all of the correct cockpit trim - too difficult to remove the rear moulding as it is bolted on - nonsense,it should be screwed on to the rear shroud. Up to $43k now so apparently there are buyers out there who think they might be getting a deal, and unfortunately with the values of 100M's exceeding $125,000 for a restored car, just might work out that way. Might not be any of my business, but going to bring this car to Bill Meade's attention at the 100M Registry so he can be on the lookout for it if someone comes to register it down the road or if that car number is already registered by the ebay seller or to a different owner. For that fact, since the chassis/body <span style="text-decoration: underline">might</span> be that, an original 100M, does the fact it is missing the other M parts for the drive train, not make it a 100M ? If it was a Bugatti and all you had was the original chassis and you put on a new body and find a correct vintage drive train, seems like sometimes the Bugatti folks accept it as one of their own. Guess the biggest thing here will be the value of it when either sold or when all required parts are possibly added down the road.
Regards,
Mike

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If I remember correctly, you can't just stick in a BN1 transmission, something relativly major needs to be changed on the frame crossmember. There was a time when these cars were relatively worthless, so I could see a non-original engine/trans being transplanted in. But why would you go through the hassle of changing things over to stick in an earlier transmission? Doesn't ad up in my mind.

Isn't the body number stamped into the chassis somewhere? I thought on one of the front control arm frame tabs. I would be curious to know what number is there?

Wasn't the world a lot easier when these cars weren't worth anything :smile:

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I see the guy who bid $45K retracted and it's back down to $35K now.

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I have never heard of a body number being stamped on a frame member like the BJ8's have with the front shock mount. Maybe someone out there knows if that is the case. Hopefully,the folks looking at this BN2 have come to the realization that it is not a 100M or at very best, a suspect 100M chassis/body and not much else.

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
Nope, no body number on the frames, anywhere, on BN1 or BN2. A photo of the left side shroud support (near the carbs) may be helpful but the correct configuration of a true factory 100m's support can be duplicated.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
bighealeysource said:
I have never heard of a body number being stamped on a frame member like the BJ8's have with the front shock mount. Maybe someone out there knows if that is the case. Hopefully,the folks looking at this BN2 have come to the realization that it is not a 100M or at very best, a suspect 100M chassis/body and not much else.
Maybe it was "added" to authenticate the vin number somehow?

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
This car sold for $52,100.

There were three bid retractions, which made for quite the ebay roller coaster. I'm not sure if I have ever seen that before.

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hope whoever bought it is not expecting to get it registered with the 100M Registry because "that ain't gonna happen" per Bill Meade. Bill felt without the correct drive train that he would not allow the registration and even had doubts about the VIN plate which was an obvious reproduction plate. Otherwise, a nice BN2 at a nice price to raise the market for BN2's !
Regards,
Mike

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
AH100M said:
Nope, no body number on the frames, anywhere, on BN1 or BN2. A photo of the left side shroud support (near the carbs) may be helpful but the correct configuration of a true factory 100m's support can be duplicated.

Hey, I don't claim to know squat about any Healeys except BJ8s, but isn't the body number of BN1s and BN2s stamped on things like the bonnet edge? Or maybe that's only for 100Ms. I've been in recent communication with the Hundred Registrar about a BN2 bonnet with number 2017 on it being found in Colorado, and that number (body number) belonging to 100M 152199, which is in Australia.

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Steve,
Yes, the Jensen body number is stamped on the left side of the bonnet, the rear boot support bracket, front bumper valance and the aluminum cockpit moulding for BN1's and BN2's, not just 100M's. Not necessarily a surprise that the bonnet you mention belonging to a complete car in OZ if they got separated at one time as think quite a few US cars ended up being shipped to OZ by collectors. Of course think it makes sense if that car was originally exported to US as opposed to other way around ! Wish the 100-4's had the car vin numbers stamped on the shock tower like the BJ8's - would help clear up some confusion sometimes.
Regards,
Mike

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
The bonnet support near the carbs would have an angle there to allow the COLD AIR BOX to fit properly. There is no way any one would remove or replace that with a straight one anytime during the life of the car. I bought a reproduction for my 100 Le Mans recently.

This was never mentioned in the ad....so I must assume it was not there?

Pete

Sr_Pinguino

Freshman Member
Country flag
If Mr. Meade does not allow BN2L-231156 to be registered as a factory 100M, then I agree with him. I wish that the 100M registry would only allow factory 100M’s that have been examined by the registry for originality, which would include examination of the VIN plate.

The seller of BN2L-231156 did not show photos of important 100M characteristics such as the bonnet body number and the front shroud support, which would be offset for the cold air box. Is the bonnet an aluminum reproduction? This car is obviously a “bitsa”.

Country flag
FWIW, there are actually 2 levels of qualification for the 100M registry. One, you just send the BMIHT cert and some $$$ and the other, you need to more completely document the car (and send more $$$). The more complete documentation includes photos of the VIN plate, body number stamps, engine ID plate, distributor body, carb inscriptions and a couple other things. Bill wouldn't send me the template for the front curve of the two-tone paint scheme without this verification (fortunately, the car body was in pieces with only metalprep on it). Got an 'earful' from Rich C. who informed me the swaged curve on a later 6-cyl car is the same. For the extra work and $$$ you get a stamp on the Registry cert verifying the extra scrutiny and Bill gets more data to help prevent fraud (hopefully).