• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Recommended Tire Life

Country flag
In the GMC Motorhome community, most go by 5 years life span for tires. Some go 6-7 years. Because of the nature of their use, practically all tires will age out before they'll wear out. A 12,000 lb. vehicle has a LOT of mass and momentum, safety first!

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I watch a guy on You Tube who restores and repairs old Greyhound buses.
I have heard him remind drivers on test drives that the bus is rolling on tires that are 25 years out of date so please keep the speed down to below 40 MPH and to get them replaced before they take the bus on the road again. Towing a bus is expensive.

David

stefanh6

Country flag
My current 7 year old tires still have a good amount of tread and no signs of dry rotting, although I noticed that wet grip is not reliable anymore. They have a tendency to hydroplane, so I'm planning to buy a new set of Michelins from 4wheelonline next month.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Tires do deteriorate from the inside with no signs on the outside. Bulges appear is a sign but not always.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
My current 7 year old tires still have a good amount of tread and no signs of dry rotting, although I noticed that wet grip is not reliable anymore. They have a tendency to hydroplane, so I'm planning to buy a new set of Michelins from 4wheelonline next month.

This is what a friend noticed in a very serious way (with his Porsche 911)... very easy skidding. He's replacing his set.
I'll do mine (on the Bugeye) next Spring.