• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Seat Bottom/Frame for 1950 Ford Prefect

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I am in need of the rear seat frame/bottom where your fanny plants
Regards

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Wow, another Prefect owner. I have a 1948. Are you talking about the spring unit? I don't have a spare but just interested. Also what is the condition of your Prefect and can you post some photos please?

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
Wow, another Prefect owner. I have a 1948. Are you talking about the spring unit? I don't have a spare but just interested. Also what is the condition of your Prefect and can you post some photos please?
Here are some photos of what is going on, enjoy > Facebook <

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
thanks for the photos. Looks like a worthy project. I would suggest Anglia Obsolete (angliaobsolete.com) as your first source for parts then Anglia Brokers (anglia-brokers.com). There are others too if you haven't found them yet. Keep us posted on your progress.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
Yes, I have used Anglia Brokers for some of the salvage parts bumpers tail light fixture etc Parts I go direct to small Ford spares takes about a week. My latest order is for all the soft parts and the shipping is
The size and weight of the parcel are as follows:

The size and weight of the parcel are as follows:

12.6kg

63 x 62 x 29cm and the shipping is 80 bucks DHL and will be here next Wed.
My biggest problem is tires and I am a cheapskate when it comes to this, I am leaning towards a 5.00-16 for a motorcycle has high-speed rating and more than enough weight carry cap.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I got my Prefect in 1962 and certainly couldn't pay for proper tires at the time. So I started getting used Harley tires. They take them off with lots of tread left so I thought it would be perfect. Problem is the profile of motorcycle tires. They are round on the bottom instead of flat. So they wear out really fast right down the center on a car even if you seriously under inflate them. Yes I have bought a lot of stuff (a few hundred $$) from Small Ford Spares. Great supplier for sure. Oh, I see you are pretty close to Anglia Brokers then.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
Well, Anglia is 350 miles E of me about a 5 hr ride and after 40 + years of driving large cno desire more than 50 miles. I am trying my best to figure out how to build my back seat bottom I just cannot come up with anything other than to find a seat bottom. darn mice/rats pee'd so much it dissolved about 1/2 of the lower frame and some of the side frames it is just powder. When my boys brought it home they had a good laugh as the critters were a jumping-off at 60mph. The critters had stuffed the spare tire well and trunk full of fiberglass insulation. I just learned the crank will be done next Fri., took it down to 20/20 so another decision needs to be made do I Babbit the original rods or by the recon rods set up for shell bearings. Geez MONEY, MONEY MONEY.
Never crossed my mind as to the profile of the moto tires and I still ride. Palm to face :hammer2:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Built mine in late '60s and couldn't find anyone locally to babbit but machine work was a whole lot cheaper back then. Shop converted to sleeves but I thought they modified the existing rods. Had to turn the crank and new rings but bores were at least acceptable with just a "polish." Also had to line bore as one main cap was cracked and had to be replaced. Total price was just over $100. Oh, I had replaced the original with a 100E engine so that may be different. Also at that time one of our local Ford dealers still had a fair stock of spares on hand.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I can do the babbit learned from grandpa as his T and a couple of the tractors, not a hard job. The new rods are $126.19 inc. VAT also there is a shop by me that will babbit and depending on the cost ??? The crank is being turned to 20/20 and the price is$230.00. In 1969 I had a complete engine 426 Hemi balanced valves resized and a whole lot of other stuff price was $200.00 Oh heads milled also which also had to mill the intake. I was hoping the engine in the car would run but it is stuck real hard, Dad had a second engine next to it and it was free but the babbit was real thin

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
here are a couple of ads - given that they are selling as rods they might have parts they don't need.

also a nice one - owner might have spares

you might also want to post a pic of the seat base with dimensions as perhaps we can identify something that is close or could be adapted

good luck!

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have con rods made for me with shell bearings. These are I beam rods with arp fasteners, etc.
They are probably over kill for a stock lump.